Chapter 55

Khloe's POV:

I tended to stay near the table of food whenever I wasn't dancing with someone.

And luckily the boy from earlier, Marcus tended to stay around me as well and had offered me all of the dances we had so far.

Which honestly I was grateful for, he was easy to talk to as we got to know each other more and saved me the stress of choosing a partner for each dance.

I would try to initiate small talk with some of the other slaves and pets whenever Marcus would, but since socializing wasn't exactly my strong point, I just went with the next best thing.

Food.

And well, why wouldn't I when all of it was so delicious?

I finished off the chocolate-hazelnut truffle I had grabbed, my eyes absent-mindedly gazing into the crowd of vampires.

I had been doing that all night, just looking into that crowd, hoping that I would see him.

But I haven't. Not since the first dance.

It felt weird... Not seeing him...

It didn't feel like how it usually felt whenever he would leave me alone in his room.

Instead, it just felt like a small ache that wouldn't go away.

I had honestly debated saying his name in order for him to come find me, but I decided against it.

He was probably having fun with Layla and I didn't want to ruin it because of some feeling I was getting.

So I just left it alone and tried in vain to distract myself with food, and somehow hope that I could look up and meet his eyes again.

I let out a long sigh, rolling back my shoulders as I began walking back towards where Marcus was.

There was only one more slow dance before the ball was over, which I was partially happy about because my feet were beginning to hurt in these shoes.

Plus the part of my mind that was focusing on how tired I am was just longing to curl up in Nico's arms and fall asleep.

I felt my nails dig into my skin as my hands balled into fists.

I needed to stop thinking about him. It was only making me feel worse.

But of course, I had to tune back into reality and realize that I had been subconsciously walking closer to the vampires.

I inhaled a harsh breath as I immediately halted.

OK, now I really needed to stop.

I didn't even know what I was trying to stop myself from doing just now...

Whatever.

I turned myself around, taking a couple small steps.

Nico probably didn't want to have to be dealing with me right now anyways. For now, I just have to stick it out until the ball ends.

Which shouldn't take that long... hopefully.

My body stopped walking, and I actually had to fight myself from looking back.

I did, however, turn my head upwards in almost excitement when the lights dimmed.

Well, that happened sooner than expected, but I'm not complaining.

I was about to continue on my path to find a partner, but a hand softly set on my shoulder stopped me.

I immediately felt as If I knew who it belonged too, and part of me didn't want to turn and make sure in fear that I would be wrong.