Chapter 53: Sky's Promise

"What are you working on?"

Y/N flinched when she felt Nami's presence. The girl was curiously leaning over her desk with furrowed brows.

"Is that for an assignment?"

"N-No.." Y/N heaved a sigh. "It's for something else."

"Hmm?" Nami wondered which prompted Y/N to explain.

"I was just thinking on what to do on Aki-nee's birthday."

"Ah." Nami nodded in realization. "It's a few days from now, right?"

"Yeah."

"Well, I really don't think you should bother." Nami casually said which made Y/N look at her.

"Huh?"

"From what I remember, Aki-nee doesn't celebrate her birthday." Nami shrugged. "Maybe she's just lazy or maybe it's just another day to her."

True to her words, Y/N recalled on the previous birthdays Aki had. The girl usually does nothing and acted like it was an ordinary day.

"But still.." Y/N frowned. "It's better if we do something."

"If you say so." replied Nami before grabbing her bag. "Anyways, I'm off to meeting Kana. Bye."

After Nami left, Y/N went back to brainstorming. She bit her lip while looking at the scribbles on her notebook.

"If Aki-nee doesn't celebrate her birthday, I should give her something at the very least..."

Y/N thought hard on what she will give but came up with nothing. With a sigh, she decided to just take her lunch for now and resume her task later.

On her way to the cafeteria, she bumped into Aki who was also surprised at her presence.

"Ah. Hi Y/N."

"Hello Aki-nee." Y/N sheepishly greeted.

"Where are you off to?"

"I was just about to take my lunch." Y/N motioned to her lunchbox. Aki made a thinking expression and was soon replaced by an apologetic smile.

"Too bad. I had to attend a meeting so I can't join you for lunch."

"I-It's fine, Aki-nee." Y/N hastily said. She didn't want to intrude on Aki's school duties. "I can manage on my own."

Aki smiled sweetly at Y/N. She then looked left and right to see if there are students on the hallway. After making sure that there is no audience, she stole a kiss from Y/N which surprised the girl.

"I'll see you later at home. Byee ♡."

Y/N touched her lips and felt herself blushing. Her heartbeat also fastened which seems strange since it wasn't the first time she and Aki kissed.

"Phew." Y/N clutched her chest to calm her racing heart. The past days, she felt nervous around Aki and she couldn't explain why. Ever since Nami and Kana started dating, Y/N started to ponder towards her own romantic life. She imagined what it feels to be in love and for some reason, she associates it with Aki.

She seems to think frequently of Aki nowadays and blush whenever the girl acts sweet.

"It wasn't like this before." Y/N mumbled as she gazed at Aki's direction. The latter met up with some of her classmates and started talking.

Y/N's brows furrowed when she saw Aki laughing with a guy. Shaking her head, she turned away from the scene because it only irritated her.
_____________________________

After classes, Y/N visited some shops to purchase some requirements for her school project. While scanning around, she noticed a jewelry shop with exquisite design. Curious, she entered the shop and was greeted by the shopkeeper.

"Good day. Are you looking for some bracelets, earrings, necklaces, or some antiques?"

"Ah, I'm still shopping around." Y/N sheepishly replied and the keeper just nodded.

"That's fine. Feel free to shop around and just call if you need assistance."

Y/N nodded and the shopkeeper left. She started to scan the display and her attention was caught on a moon necklace. It was crescent shaped and had mini-diamonds on the corners.

Y/N approached the display to examine it further. She was awed by its quality and continued to gaze at it.

"Ahh. The Sky's Promise. Do you know that it comes with a pair?"

Y/N blinked once the shopkeeper approached her.

"This moon necklace is paired with a star necklace. This is usually for couples and it signifies an everlasting hope to stay together regardless of the troubles you might encounter. Hence, it's called the Sky's Promise.."

"I see..." mumbled Y/N who was further entranced after the given explanation. The shopkeeper retrieved a Star necklace who was the pair of the other one.

"Together, they signify strength, passion, and fortitude." The keeper touched one of the sides and the necklace opened up. "You can also customize to place some engravings inside."

"Wow." Y/N can't help but remark. "It's beautiful."

The shopkeeper smiled and closed the necklaces back. She gave both necklaces to Y/N so she can fully examine it.

"The pair is part of the limited edition set for couple necklaces." Y/N's eyes widened once she saw the price.

"For real? The price is already half my allowance!"

"I think you'll be a fitting owner for them, and whoever you will give this to." The keeper smiled. "That's why, if you decide to purchase this one, I'll give you a 20% discount. I'll also remove this from the listings to temporarily hold this for you."

Y/N contemplated for a bit. If she will purchase the necklace then her whole monthly allowance will be compromised. She can try to find ways on how to gather at least half the price if she still wanted to have her allowance intact.

"I'll take it." Y/N decided. "But not right away..."

"That's fine. I can still hold this one for a week." replied the keeper.

After leaving the shop, Y/N found a new resolve. She already found the perfect gift for Aki. She just have to find a way on how to achieve it...

- End of Chapter -