Chapter 55: Aki's Birthday

"Kyaah. Thank you Aki-senpai."

Aki smiled faintly and waved at her admirers. She received a ton of letters from them and even some gifts.

When she reached her locker, she stashed all of the letters and heaved a small sigh.

"Every year.. in this particular day.. they just keep piling up.." mumbled Aki as she frowned. When she closed her locker, she was surprised to see Y/N standing timidly on the side.

"Y/N.." Aki broke into a smile after she recovered. "Good to see you here. Do you need anything?"

"Hai..I wanted to ask if you already had lunch." Y/N sheepishly said and glanced at the locker. "But it seems that you've already received some foods..."

Aki grabbed Y/N's hand and pulled her along.

"Not really. Come, let's take our lunch." She sweetly added.

Along the way, several students will greet Aki and the girl just mumbled a small thanks.

"Aki-nee really is popular." mused Y/N.

They eventually reached a secluded resting spot and sat under a tree shade. Y/N brought out the lunch she made from her basket and handed it to Aki.

"I know you've probably received tastier-looking foods but I still want you to receive this." Y/N shyly said.

"Nonsense, Y/N." Aki smiled. "I prefer you over anyone else's."

Hearing this, Y/N blushed and cleared her throat.

"A-Anyways.. Happy Birthday Aki-nee." Y/N warmly said. "I hope you enjoy the foods I made."

"Thank you, Y/N." Aki said lovingly. "And since it's my birthday, I want you to feed me."

"Eh?"

"Come on." Aki insisted. She laid her head on Y/N's shoulder and clung to her arm. "Feed me pleasee."

"G-Geez.." With a blushing face, Y/N picked up her chopsticks and went on feeding Aki. The girl broke into a cheerful smile and pecked Y/N's cheeks.

"Aki-nee?"

"Hm?" Aki responded as they broke into a comfortable silence.

"I'm just curious." Y/N picked up some meat and fed it to Aki. "Why do you not celebrate your birthday? Or do you prefer to not celebrate it?"

At the question, Aki went silent and Y/N noticed her sudden change of mood. After a while, Aki broke out into a thin smile.

"Something like that..." came the faint reply as Aki recalled something from the past.

Y/N pondered on the words and guessed that maybe Aki didn't like celebrating it because her student admirers usually crowd her.

"Maybe she finds it a hassle." thought Y/N as she glanced at Aki's form.

--(Time Skip)---

With heavy breaths, Aki clutched her chest and turned on her room lamp. The same incident repeated on her mind and she tried to regulate her breathing.

"On this day..." Aki gritted her teeth and grabbed some water. She took a large gulp then shook her head.

"On this same day.. that memory keeps on repeating.."

*(Knock!)*

She was brought out of her reverie when she heard door knocks.

"Aki-nee? Are you awake?"

At the sound of Y/N's voice, Aki composed herself and inhaled. She then went towards the door and opened it.

"Are you okay, Aki-nee?" asked Y/N as she noticed Aki's state.