Chapter 54: Part-Time

It was currently break time and Rui approached Y/N who was busy scanning a newspaper.

"Woah. I didn't know that somebody still reads newspaper these days.."

Y/N looked up temporarily but glared playfully once she noticed that it was just Rui.

"Shut up. I'm busy searching here."

"Searching for what?" Rui took a seat beside Y/N and stared curiously. "Job listings? Are you looking for a job?"

"Well.. you can say that." Y/N sheepishly said. "It's just for a week. I'm trying to save up money so I can buy something."

"I can just lend you money, you know?" Rui offered but Y/N hastily declined.

"It's fine, Rui. Besides, I don't want to take advantage of you." Y/N shyly said.

"How would that count as you taking advantage if I'm voluntarily letting you?" Rui insisted but Y/N still shook her head.

"It's fine, really. Besides, I want to put effort on saving up the money.

"Hmm.." Rui made a thinking expression. "What are you saving up the money for, anyways?"

Y/N blinked then sheepishly smiled.

"I'm saving up for Aki-nee's birthday.."

"Oh...." was the only words Rui can utter. Y/N awkwardly chuckled and went back on reading the newspaper.

"In that case.." Rui declared after some time. "Let me help you find a side job then."

"Really?" Asked Y/N in surprise. She didn't think that Rui would help after learning that it's for Aki. She didn't want things to be awkward since she had no idea if Rui is comfortable talking about Aki.

"Yep. Who knows if you might land on some shady job or some psycho person."

"It's not like I'll choose some weird jobs." frowned Y/N while Rui just shrugged.

"Well, better safe than sorry..."

--(Time Skip)---

Rui eventually introduced Y/N to his uncle. The man needed someone to look after his bicycle shop while the attendant was on leave.

"So this is what you are tasked to do." The man instructed Y/N and the girl eagerly listened. Rui was just on the sidelines observing them.

"I understand. I'll do my best." Y/N made a slight bow.

"Well then. I'll be leaving the shop under your care. You could also arrange some files while you're at it."

"Yes sir." responded Y/N and the man left. She then started on her task which made Rui chuckle.

"Are you that excited for your job?"

"Of course! The pay is good and after a week I'm guaranteed to purchase my gift." Y/N cheekily said. She then smiled gratefully at Rui.

"I never would have landed this job if it weren't for your help. Thanks, Rui.."

Rui was caught off-guard at the smile. He cleared his throat and turned away to hide his blush.

"Who said I'm doing this for free? I demand to receive free food after you got your final pay."

Y/N laughed at this but nodded.

"Of course. Choose anything you want."

Days passed by and Y/N was close to completing her task. Rui's uncle praised her for her diligence and bought some pizza to share.

"Here's a celebratory snack for your hard work."

"T-Thank you sir." Y/N shyly said and bowed.

The three of them shared the snack while engaging in conversation. After a while, Y/N excused herself so she can return back on her work.

"You've got it bad, kiddo." The man commented once he noticed Rui's gaze.

"I don't know what you're talking about."

The man just laughed at this and patted his back.

"Just the thought of you persuading me to let that girl take the job already speaks volumes. And you know how I don't take part-timers yet you still insisted."

"You're the only person I know who offers jobs." Rui replied

"And I don't recall you being a fan of asking favors." countered the man. He then grabbed his belongings and proceeded to his office.

"Talk to her someday. Bottling it up is not good.." with a final pat on Rui's shoulders, he finally left.

Rui contemplated on the words and eventually, he released a sigh.

"Maybe... But for now, I'll just watch from afar.."

-End of Chapter -