Chapter Seventeen

~Kace~

At exactly 12:30 a.m I parked outside Sayd's apartment. I aware that I was a little early but I didn't mind waiting on her. I got out of my car and double-checked that I locked the doors before I made my way to the front door that only led to a hallway with more doors and with numbers on them. I had only been here once before but I remembered where her room was. After walking up the flight of stairs I got to room 329 and knocked. After about two minutes of no one answering, I knocked again and finally, the door opened.

"Kace?" The smiled at me but at the same time she sounded confused. "I'm sorry for taking so long. I couldn't hear you over the TV."

"Hi Mera, that's fine. I'm the one who came over unannounced."

"Well, come on in," she said opening the door wider for me. She looked all dressed up and with a lightly applied makeup so I assumed she was heading out soon. "Sayd's not home but she'll be here soon."

"Okay," Beyond the make up I noticed the bags under her eyes, she looked exhausted. Even as she walked around in their small living room she seemed absent.

"Are you okay?" I couldn't help but ask.

"Me?" 

"Yeah."

"I'm fine" she said sounding unsure of her answer. She offered me a sit and sat at the one opposite me.

I had no proof of her of knowing that she was this way because her boyfriend finally dropped the werewolf bomb on her. But I liked to think that's what Sayd meant when she said her brother turned into something.

"I heard you're not feeling well," I paused choosing my words carefully and I probably should have stopped there.  " It's not every day you find out your friend is a werewolf ."

The room suddenly fell silent and I heard her heart rate escalate. I felt I had nothing to lose. If she already knew about werewolves her finding out about me wouldn't change a thing. If she didn't, she'd probably think I was crazy and move on.

"How do you know that?" she asked confirming my suspicions. I didn't respond and choose to remain silent. "Did he tell you?"

I shook my head slowly.

"Well, how do you know ?"

I moved closer to her so that in case she decided to run as I watched her figure it out. Her eyes them widened and she got off the chair and took several steps back. 

"Mera, listen" I walked closer but stood at a safe distance and she took another step back.

"This is a joke, this can't be happening," she said while rubbing her temples.

At that point I started to consider that this was definitely a bad idea.

"This is insane," she whispered and shook her head frantically.

" So he did tell you he was a wolf...."

"How many of you are there?" she cut me short. "How did you even become...?

The colour drained from her face making me feel bad for her. "Look, its not as bad or scary as you think. We're just normal people really. "

She didn't a say anything but seemed to remain deep in thought so I divided to go on.

"I'm guessing for the fact that he told you means that you're his mate, " I said more to myself than her.

"He mentioned that, " she finally spoke. "What is a mate anyway?"

Oh boy. I didn't want to be the one to explain this.

"A mate," I began then decided to cut the long story short. " Like a soul mate. "