Chapter Thirty

~Sayd~

"Sayd, you'll be coming to the bonfire right?"

"I don't know-,"

"Of course, we will," Mera cut me off before I could finish my sentence.

"Perfect, it will be right at the beach so you won't have to go too far from home," Graham said seeing my lack of enthusiasm and believe me I was not excited about it at all.

I supposed this was Graham's attempt to get me out of the house more. How much time I spent locked up in the house would concern anyone. It wasn't that I thought I was too cool for outings, but I thought they were too cool for me if that made sense and my social awkwardness never spared me a break.

"What's the purpose of bonfires anyway?" It was a genuine question. I had no idea what they were for. Somebody could probably tell me they're for roasting marshmallows and I'd believe them.

" Just for chills," Graham said causally. " It's just one of the things we do as young people in the pack to blow off some steam. You know to socialise and all. "

I guessed it didn't sound too bad. " Okay, sounds like fun. "

"Great, " Graham said and drained his bottle of beer. Seconds later a waiter showed up at picked up his bottle and ours. I still found it crazy how the whole restaurant got up and left the moment we walked in. Graham was treated like royalty here and I could tell he didn't like it very much from the expression on his face when people started to leave the restaurant.

"Would you like anything else sir?" the waiter asked him and he shook his head.

"No thank you, do you guys need something? Maybe something for your dinner?"

"No, thanks," Mera said. " The house already has enough food to feed an entire nation. "

"Okay then," Graham responded. " I have to get back to Kace and the other guys now. But I can take you guys home, to begin with."

When he said his name I was tempted to ask about him and how he was doing. It had been so long since the last time I saw him or even talked to him, I found myself thinking about him even when I didn't realise it. I asked him to give me some space and he was doing great at it.

"How...how are the other guys by the way?"

"They're all good," he responded as we got up from our seats and walked out of the restaurant. "This Zaynab thing has us all a little bit on edge, you know. "

"Yeah I know," I began to consider how Kace was particularly feeling. Having to worry about his family and friends not getting hurt in the mix of all this mayhem couldn't be easy.

"But why don't you guys just all come and live here? "Mera asked him.

"And run away from a fight? Never." He said with enthusiasm and I rolled my eyes.

After our time at the restaurant, Graham took us home. I wasn't as enthusiastic about the bonfire as Mera was, my plan was mostly to get there at hopefully make some friends and not a complete awkward fool of myself.

"I'm so excited," Mera said walking into my room while fixing earrings. "It's been ages since I went out. " She looked dressed for the occasion as usual in a short denim skirt and an animal print crop top.

"You look so cute, " she said referring to the shorts, crop top vest and long checked shirt I had on.

"Thanks, you look good too. "

"Come on," she said when she put on her other earring. "I'm sure it's already started. "

Following Graham's directions we walked out to the beach and sure enough not too far from our house we could hear the faint sound of people and music playing. After following the beach a few minutes longer we got to a crowd of teens and college students, some of whom I could recognise from my varsity.