Chapter Nineteen

~Kace~

I was packing up my stuff in my bag pack in preparation to visit my mother. It had been long since my last visit, especially after my accident. I made sure she knew nothing about it. It was already bad enough that she wasn't feeling well because my father, the alpha, and her mate was slowly dying and she could feel his pain too. I didn't want to make that worse for her. That's the reason I was going to visit her right now. I could feel myself getting stronger by the day which meant my father wasn't doing fine. But I didn't give a damn about him, it was my mother I was worried about.

"When should we expect you back?" Graham asked me as I was descending the stairs. " I was hoping I could use your room to hide Abigail while Maya is here."

Among the four of us, Graham was the biggest player. I looked forward to the day he would meet his mate, I secretly hoped it will be on one of his escapades. That would give him a taste of his own medicine.

"I don't think so buddy," I said tapping my pocket to make sure my keys were there.

"Come on, I just want to hide her, we won't do anything. Look at it this way, your room will finally know what a girl looks like. "

"Very funny. Later Graham," I didn't care about having different girls over every weekend. I didn't find that kind of life appealing at all.

He was about to say something else when his phone rang. "Shit, she's already on her way here." I shook my head then walked out our front door and to my car.

Sony and Reid were never home on weekends mostly because they were athletes and on scholarship. It was a completely different story for Graham and me. Graham was born in wealth, his father was the beta of the Locus pack and he had all the benefits that came with it, including being next in line. For me, I learned to live among humans at a young age, which meant I understood that to live comfortably you had to work hard. So at fifteen years old, I got into graphics designing and I got good at it quickly. Moving on to varsity, I turned my major into my work and here I am now with my own car and paying my own tuition.

My mother's house wasn't too far away from my varsity. Sometimes I'd use the woods to get there, but that increased the risk of being caught in my wolf form.

After 40 minutes of driving, I arrived at a brown and white two-story house. I didn't tell her I was coming, I was hoping I would surprise her. When I got out of my car and locked the door, I heard the front door of the house open.

"I thought I sensed someone like you," she said standing on the front porch. She opened her arms wide as she walked towards me. It was good to know she still had some of her senses.

"Hey Mom," as I was hugging her I couldn't help but notice that she had lost a significant amount of weight.

"Here I thought you forgot all about your mother," I didn't reply but pulled her away from my embrace and held her by her shoulders.

"Are you alright? " I asked her as my eyes roamed he face.

"I'm fine my dear," she smiled weakly. " Come now, let's go inside."

I knew she wasn't alright. My father wasn't so bad in beginning, my mother used to tell me stories of how he was a loving person and husband until she became the alpha. They met when he was next in line, my mother was from another pack. She and her Alpha came to visit ours seeking an alliance and she ended up staying back and joining our pack. By then our pack wasn't as feared as it is now.

My father always described my grandfather as a weak man and an even weaker alpha. Our land was smaller and we had scarce resources and the ones that we did have, no other pack wanted. That was my grandfather's strategy, to have nothing anyone wanted and live in peace. My father on the other hand was different, he wanted it all.