Chapter Thirty- Eight

~Kace~

After the meeting I had with the guys we kept our eyes and ears on the ground for anything suspicious. So far we had learnt that Zaynab had multiple hideouts throughout the city and I he had other wolves working for him. We also discovered that he masked his scent and that's why we couldn't pick up on it anywhere and that's why I couldn't smell him around Sayd all this time. Just the thought of him around her made me sick to my stomach. Sooner than later we would find him, we were slowly closing in on him. It seemed everything was falling into place.

However, for some reason I couldn't get in touch with in the past two days I couldn't get in touch with Sayd. I tried to call her cell and it would immediately go to voice mail which worried me. It was very unlike her to not communicate and so I decided on going to her house to see if everything was okay.

I drove from my house and to the power pack and when I got to the entrance I made sure I paid particular attention to the guards. Thankfully the ones who were ambushed by Zaynab were alive and recovering, but it was still concerning that they managed to have even come this close without anyone noticing. It got me wondering if the girls were really a hundred percent safe here.

A few minutes later I got to Sayd's and Mera's house. I hoped she was home because if not I would have come all this way for nothing. I knocked on the door and no one answered at first so I knocked again. I wait for about ten minutes and just when I was about to leave, I heard footsteps approaching.

" Who is it ?" Sayd asked from the other side.

" It's me," I responded. "Kace."

I heard the sound of keys as she unlocked the door. She opened it halfway and smiled at me with a smile that didn't reach her eyes.

"Hi, I didn't know you'd be coming over today. "

" I've been trying to call you since yesterday, " I said." I can't seem to get in touch with you. "

"Oh," she faced the ground. " I misplaced my phone. "

"Misplaced it," I repeated and she nodded.

I decided not to question her any further because she didn't look like she was up for an interrogation.

" Okay, " I said. "Aren't you going to invite me in?"

"Oh, yeah, " she opened the door wider. " I'm sorry, please come in. "

She walked behind me and offered me one of the seats in the living room and she went into the kitchen. She came back with a glass of orange juice and handed it to me then sat next to me on the couch.

"Are you home alone?" I asked her when I noticed the house was quiet.

"Yeah, Mera went out with Timothy yesterday, and well, they're still out," she said and sipped from her cup.

"So how've you been? " I asked her hoping I could get an answer to why she looked disoriented.

" I've been okay," she answered but I could still pick up uncertainty in her voice. " How is the hunt for Zaynab going? " she asked changing the subject.

" Well," I said playing along. " It's going better than expected. We're closing up on him, which is a good thing. Timothy joined the team and he's been a major help. "

" Who would have thought right?" She chuckled.

" Yeah, " I agreed. " He's doing it mostly for you. "

When I said that her smile disappeared again and the corners of her life pulled down.

"What about you?" she asked me. " Who are you doing this for?"

I was taken aback by her question but I answered it anyway.

" Well, I guess you can say I'm doing it for everyone. For you, for my legacy, my home and my family. "

"What if it doesn't end the way you pictured it?"

"What do you mean?"

" I mean what if....he wins."

"He won't."

"How do you know that?" there was desperation in her voice.

" I'll make sure he won't," I put my hand on top of hers as a sign of assurance. " This only ends one way."

"You don't know that," she shook her head and retracted her hand.

I suddenly understood her emotion. I could imagine what was going through her mind not knowing how any of this was going to end for any of us. I could imagine she was worried about losing her brother, a person she had grown up with and what that would do to her friend.

" Look," I put my juice on the table and inched closer to her on the couch. " I know this is a lot. It's a lot for me too sometimes. You're right, I have no idea how this ends but what I can promise you is we'll be alright. "

I put the palm of my hand against the side of her face and she leaned against it as her eyes turned glassy, a sight I wasn't used to seeing. She stayed silent for a moment before she spoke again.

" What if there was another way -," she  paused. " A way that didn't involve anyone getting hurt, you'd get your pack back and everyone would be alright and Zaynab would be out of the picture for good. Would you go for it?"

As she spoke she wasn't making any eye contact with me but she looked down at the couch.

" Of course, I would," I answered honestly.

I was shocked to see a tear roll down her cheek and she immediately wiped it off in hopes of me not seeing it.

" Sayd, are you okay?"

She smiled weakly and nodded her head.

" Look I understand that this is a lot, especially for you. If you need sometime to —"

Before I could finish my sentence she moved closer to me from the chair. Her arms went underneath mine and wrapped around me and she placed her head on my shoulders as she straddled me. Instinctively I wrapped my arms around her and put my hand on her back and the other against her hair.

" It's not that," she said against my chest. " I just can't stand the thought of losing you, that's all. "

I held her tighter and stroked her hair. " You won't," I assured her. " I promise. "

Story update 😊
Please VOTE💜