Chapter Fourteen

~Kace~

"Nurse? I wanted to ask about the patient I brought in, Sayd, is she going to be okay?"

"Yes, Mr Cohen, don't worry. We just took some X-rays, luckily she has no broken ribs." The nurse said.

"That's great to hear," I said in relief.

"It sure is. We're just going to prescribe some pain medication and she'll be good to go. "

I nodded and went back to my seat. I had been in the waiting room for almost two hours and I was slowly growing impatient. I went back to my seat and took my phone out of my pocket.

Do we have any thing? I texted in the group chat. 

Not yet but we're about to go search in the woods- Graham

You okay over there?- Reid

Yeah don't worry about me, call me if anything comes up.

Okay.-Sonny

It had been two weeks and we still had no idea who was responsible for the accident. We tried going back to the scene for evidence and even investigating my car which was now beaten up. If my attacker was the wolf then there was good at hiding their scent. As planned I stayed away from Sayd like she was the plague. Somehow she managed to find my number and she called me over ten times in the past week to check on me. She also texted me but those went unanswered too. Sonny told me she had come over about twice but reported that I was unavailable.

After what happened today though, every bone in me regretted doing that. I heard her distressed cries as I was driving to her apartment, not to see her but you see if I could find anything that would help with our investigation. I drove as fast I could to her but unfortunately, by the time I got there that idiot had already hit her and I saw red. When I saw Sayd on the ground with her shirt ripped off and her jeans pulled mid-way down her hips I was damn sure I was going to slaughter him.

"Sir? Sir?" I was interrupted by a gentle voice behind me "Are you alright?"

I turned to her blankly then I followed her eyes to where my hand bent and disfigured the armrest of the chair I was sitting on and her eyes grew wider.

" I ummh, " I cleared my throat, " I— I can pay for that. "

"Okay well ummh the patient ms Pierce, " she said trying to mind her own business." She'll be out shortly but just make sure she takes these pills today and tomorrow" She handed me two pill bottles." Once today, twice tomorrow."

" Got it, " she nodded and walked back into the room meeting Sayd at the door. Aside from the dusty jeans she still had on from her incident and her now swollen eyes she looked better at least she could walk. At least she was given a new shirt too.

"Hey, " I stood up from my seat and walked towards her. She looked at me blankly and looked away.

"How are you feeling?" Considering that she wasn't going to answer me I went on with the conversation. This time she just exhaled deeply and walked past me.

"Sayd, " I caught my arm and she yanked it away.

I sighed in frustration, she was definitely mad. I considered what almost happened to her and left her in shock so I followed her behind until the hospital doors. We stood there for a few minutes until she finally spoke.

"Well?"

"Well, what?" I looked at her curiously.

"Aren't you gonna unlock your car? Or do you expect me to walk home while you disappear again?"

That's when I finally understood why she was showing resentment towards me.  I took out my keys and pressed the button that unlocked the doors of my brand-new Rolls-Royce SUV.

"It's pretty cold, I brought you some clean clothes and a jersey."

"No, thank you, " she said walking to my car and opening the door. I followed her behind and threw the clothes I brought her in the back seat before starting the car. As we drove she was looking outside the window with her hand supporting her chin. For a moment I thought she was asleep.

"Is this your car?" She asked in almost a whisper.

"Huh?"

"Is this your car?"

"Yeah, I bought it two days ago. "

"Looks expensive."

"I like big cars."

"It's nice."

She fell silent again and continued to look out the window.

"Hey, " I said breaking the silence. " I'm sorry about what happened to you today. I wish I had come sooner"

"Okay," She said plainly.

She clearly wasn't having it so we drove in silence until we reached the front of her gate.

"Here we are," I said stopping the car.

"Perfect. " She unbuckled her seat belt and I grabbed her hand before she could open the door.

"Look can we talk?"

"No, " she said immediately.

"Sayd, just hear me out. "

She moved in her seat and turned to me suddenly she had a lowering expression and I was ready for what was going to come next.

"And what exactly are you going to tell me, Kace?"

"I—."

"You disappear for weeks and you don't say a word at all," her voice rose as she spoke. " I tried calling you and coming to your house, but you completely ignored me. I thought something had happened to you and the best you could do was send Graham to your door to tell me 'Kace is alright' ?"

"Sayd, " I tried taking her hand to calm her down but she quickly yanked them away. " I'm trying to tell you—."

She rolled her eyes ." Spare me the details. I was worried about you and you knew it, I called and I...."

"Since when the hell do you care about me?" I blurted out harshly causing silence to linger in the car. Her expression changed completely and she looked at me bewildered before turning to the window and chuckling sarcastically.

"Sayd—"

"You know what," she interrupted me again." You're right I don't care." She opened the door and jumped out of my car. " Have a nice life, Cohen." I heard her say before she slammed the door.

"Wait, " I followed her behind as she took long strides.

" Would you just listen for a second?"

"Sayd, " I grabbed her arm and pulled her toward me a little more abruptly than I intended to. I took her by surprise and she gasped when she stopped against my chest.

Instictively she placed her hand against my chest to pull herself away, but before she did she looked up at me. Her expression softened when she regarded our close proximity. My hand was still on her arm and I had every intention of letting her go. But as my hand slid down the soft skin of her arm, it only intensified what was happening between us.

I never want to admit it, but she was like a drug to me. Scratch that she was addition. I found myself looking at her facial features; her slightly puffed-up eyes, her slightly bruised jaw and the bandaid on her forehead. I could feel she was shaking whether it was from anger, I didn't know. Fresh tears started to fill her eyes again, but I'll be damned if I see her beautiful face teary again. I held her gingerly on either side of her face and her breathing quickened as I brought her even closer to me.

"I'll be damned if anyone ever touches you again," I said with a whisper that touched her face. Her hands held on to my arms and I knew what was happening, I was fully aware but I didn't care. I didn't care that there would be consequences not did I.think about them. She's all that mattered. When a thick tear rolled down her eye, my lips met with hers.