Chapter Thirty- Seven

~Sayd~

I was sitting with my legs crossed on a sun lounger chair with Mera and Bailey. Bailey had become a really good friend to us over the past few weeks since we had been here. I grew very fond of her, she came off as quiet and reserved at first but once I got to know her, her true character blossomed.

Over the past few weeks, everything felt perfect. We hadn't heard anything about Zaynab, I was having a lot of fun with our new friends and my relationship with Kace was wonderful. He would frequently come to visit me and took me out on lots of dates. Some dates were more fancy, like when he took me to a five-star restaurant and others were simple and chill but more intimate like when we watched Netflix together in my room. I could easily say I was living my best life but I didn't want to jinx it in case there was a possibility of it getting better. Everything felt great and was great. Everything except one thing.

" Sayd," Mera said sitting on the chair that was next to me. " I brought the sunscreen you wanted. "

She, Bailey and I were tanning outside in the afternoon sun in matching bikinis. Or should I say, she and Bailey were tanning? I, on the other hand, was born tanned. I took the sunscreen from her and put on a significant amount on my face, legs and arms.

" I thought we came out here to get a tan," Bailey said.

" Yes, you guys did. I already have one and you know, I have to keep the tan up."

"You have a point," she said and smiled.

It didn't help either that I sunburned easily and get hyperpigmentation patches on my skin. I only agreed to tan with them to be a good sport.

"By the way," Mera said passing my phone over. " Your phone has been ringing nonstop."

"Oh," I got it from her and it started to ring again and I immediately hang up when I saw the name on the screen.

" Aren't you going to pick that up? "Mera asked me.

" No, it's just a creepy guy. I don't even know how he got my number. "

" I hate those," she rolling her eyes.

Before I could put my phone down it rang again and I received numerous texts all at once.

" Damn it," I cursed before hanging up again.

" Maybe you should pick up and tell him you're not interested," Bailey suggested.

" I already have a couple of times, but it's fine, I'll just turn my phone off. " I long pressed the side button and watched as the screen turned black.

" There," I said with a smile and put it down.

We silently enjoyed the sun for a while and I started to drift off into sleep until Mera's phone rang loudly.

"Sorry," She apologised while pressing the answer button. "Hello. Oh no, this is not her phone. She's right next to me I can give the phone if you like."

I listened to her conversation at took off my shades knowing she was referring to me.

"Who is that?" I mouthed her.

"Ummh," she covered the mouthpiece with his hand. " It's a call from the school library. They wanted to talk to you about you starting to work there once the Varsity reopens. But your phone is off." She looked at me with an accusing look.

I got the phone from her and held it against my ear.

"Hello?" I said but there was no response on the other end. "Hello?" I said again.