Chapter Ten

~Sayd~

Sunday was the most basic and routine day for me. I woke up early at seven, spent my mornings at Sunday worship, my afternoon tutoring and studying, then before going home I went to my favourite coffee shop for my much-needed caffeine.

"Hey, watch it!" I yelled at a cyclist who almost ran me over as I was headed to the Cafe.

It had been a bit later in the evening than the time that I usually go there but that was because instead of tutoring one person today, I tutored two who both urgently needed help for their finals.

I clung to my jersey as I walked along the sidewalk, passing by a few people who I came to know as regulars at the cafe too. I regretted not wearing warmer clothes but just a white turtle neck and blue jeans as I felt the cold wind penetrate through my clothes.

When I got to the café I was greeted with the aroma of brewing coffee and a few friendly people. It was less crowded than usual inside, only three people to be precise; a blond-haired man sitting at the far end reading a novel, an elderly man at the counter paying for his coffee and a girl about my age at the far end of the counter.

"Hey Luke," I greeted the guy in a red apron behind the counter.

"Hey," he smiled turning his attention to me, "and here I thought you weren't going to show up."

"And pass up a chance on seeing you? Never."

" Wow, I feel almost as important as your coffee."

"Almost."

"What can I get you today?" he asked with his smile not fading.

"The usual."

"I'm on it," he winked.

I walked to my favourite corner spot which was somehow always vacant. Part of me felt like everyone who came here knew that I liked this spot and reserved it for me. A few minutes later, Luke personally brought me my coffee.

I stared out the window as I sipped from my cup. It was getting dark quickly, the only light outside was the one at the front of the café and the street light across the road. I wasn't worried about getting back to my apartment because the neighbourhood was friendly and I never had any problems before regardless of the time. So I took my time.

My phone rang and when I saw the name that appeared on the screen I rolled my eyes.

"What Tim?"

" Hello to you too. "

"Hi, now what do you want?"

He had been on my case for the entire week from the time he had found me with Kace outside class.

"Is Mera home?"

"I don't know, I'm at the cafe. "

"Café huh? Who are you with?"

"None of your damn business," I spoke harshly knowing where this was going.

"You better not be with that Kace guy. "

"So what if I am? Would you stay out of my business already?"

"It's getting late too, you should come back to your apartment."

"Bye Tim. "

"Sayd—," I hung up before he could say anything else.

From as long as I could remember Timothy he had always been protective over me. When we used to go to grade school together he would beat up and threaten anybody who picked on me. You can imagine that it got him in trouble a lot.