Chapter Twenty-Two

~Sayd~

I spent the two weeks ignoring Kace's texts and calls. I was only doing this to protect myself. Kace was a nice guy, undeniably handsome, generous, and kind to me. The only problem was he stood me up again. The day he came over on my balcony, we talked about everything and even though I didn't admit it, I enjoyed his company. He also told me that he wanted to take me out and we agreed on the time and day. But he didn't show up. I tried to call and text him for a week but his phone wouldn't go through. I waited hoping he would call me but here we are today.

"Are you still ignoring him?" Mera asked as we sipped on our slushies. The weather had been scorching for the past two days so we decided to go and out and cool down.

"Yeah," I said after taking a long sip.

" I think you should trust him, he doesn't look like the kind of person who's shady. "

"You've been on his side all week, maybe you know something that I don't."

"I bet I can come up with something better than having a wife and kids on an exotic island," she rolled her eyes. "Moreover you always claim not to like him but when he cancels on a date you get mad about it?"

"I'm not mad. "

"Sure," She rolled her eyes again. "If I didn't have Timothy, I'd take him. "

Before I could respond my phone rang and Zaynab's name appeared on the screen.

"Keeping other options open I see. "

"Hey Zaynab, " I answered my phone ignoring her.

"Hi Sayd, how are you?"

"I'm good thanks, how are you?"

"I'm alright, I was wondering if you'd be free next weekend. Remember our date?"

Date?

I looked at Mera as she mouthed something and made weird faces.

"Yeah, the weekend is good. "

She then pretended to choke on her drink and coughed loudly.

"Are you okay?" Zaynab asked.

"Yes I'm fine," I faked a grin and mouthed Mera to stop but she only coughed louder.

"Okay, I'll see you then. "

" Okay bye," I quickly hang up.

"Are you a child? " I asked Mera when she stopped and she shrugged and smiled playfully.

She got up from her seat and threw her empty slushie cup in the trash.

"Come on," she said. " Maybe you can tell me about this guy you have on the side on our way home. "

"We're just friends Mera. "

_________________________________________

As we walked home we talked about the future of our apartment when the varsity closes. Back when I was still with Danté I would visit my parents for only a few weeks and spend the rest of my time with him. However, I wanted to do something meaningful with my time now and I had already applied to volunteer at an animal shelter.

"That sounds amazing babe," Mera said when I told her about my plans. "Maybe I should do that too. I was planning to convince my father to go see the falls but your plans sound more fulfilling. "

Mera's parents had divorced many years ago and at the time her mother being so young and vibrant met and got remarried. Her biological dad shows up from time to time but he's not very committed.