41. Can't wait for you to hold me

"...the child looks fit and fine.", Elena heard the hazy voice as the tiredness from the mind numbing labour pain subsided. It was as hard as they say.

When she opened her eyes, the midwives handed her the baby, "It is a girl Duchess Elena..."

Even though their reactions looked bland and vague, she was happy looking at her child. The one who lived in her womb for nine months.

Her mind then, shifted back to Darius. He said once that if he was the father, he'd want a girl.

Her smile fell remembering what would King do to her now, that the child is out of her womb. In the course of her pregnancy, she sure witnessed his ruthlessness. Somewhere, she was glad for the presence of queen, who contained the king from thrashing her.

It was later in the evening, when she requested one of the midwife to call Darius for her.

The old lady made a face, "You want to call a guard in the infirmary?"

"So what? I have no one. He is my healers brother, so we are friends.", She can't announce her relationship with Darius. That would put him in danger.

Soon after, she saw Darius coming in and closing the door behind him.
His almost whitish face, and his brown curly locks bounce a little as he comes towards her. She smiles wide at him. She was immediately reminded of the panic stricken face when she went into labour.

His eyes then drifted to the baby lying beside her, waving her hands in the air.

For once, his breaths abandoned him. The baby was beautiful. And not to forget it was a girl.

"She looks angelic.", He said, briefly looking at Elena and then back at the baby.

"..Darius..uh...where were you?", She was sure he was outside the room the whole time. During his labour, she heard Alexis asking for some essential while addressing, "Brother..", which she calls no one else than him.

He looked at her and then diverted his gaze, "I was at the garden, reading some warfare scrolls...why?"

She knew he wouldn't admit. He has not said it out loud in words that he loves her, but she is sure he does. She has seen it in his eyes. She has never felt this worshipped in her whole life. And she loved every bit of him.

"No...nothing...I was just wondering that if you were in the garden which takes atleast five minutes from this castle, how did you come here in ten seconds."

He rolled his eyes, "Think whatever you want."

It made her chuckle. His actions spoke way more than his words. And she knew it well.

She watched him carry her child like his own and deliver his very rare smile for that little girl. She wished he would smile as often as that with her. But he was a focussed warrior, trying to make his way to the top. Something, she was doing too, a few months ago. But recently her life course has changed. Now her destination is no more the top, but wherever she finds him.

*

"Attention! The queen shall grace us with her presence right now. Bow in respect and regards.", The announcer announced, and in came Bella, wearing a very elaborated gown that separated in layers just below her breasts. To everybody, it was the new style the queen adopted, but it was in reality, to hide her small protruding belly from prying eyes.

Darius stood at the corner, greeting her, and a secret conversation passing through his eyes.

Elena cowered behind a little. She knew the queen wouldn't hurt her, but the birth of her child has now removed the very safety valve that has been imparting her the courage to stand before the king. If the queen knows the baby is born, the king will definitely do. And it wouldn't be long before she is pulled into the trial.