19. I hate it when you cry

"Your highness! We have reached the start of the forest!", The chariot puller bowed before me.

I nodded, "You go know! We shall leave from here!"
He bowed again and left.

I looked beside me and smiled at the sleeping figure in my arms. Seeing her sleeping so calmly with her head resting on my chest, and her arm around my torso makes me feel so beautiful inside.
This reminded me of the first time we were on our journey from the borders to Roshan kingdom. She slept while we were riding on Thunder. The poor horse had to slow down on my command so her beauty sleep is not disrupted.

I see the sun about to set, and so stone heartedly, I shook her a little to wake her up.
"My beautiful wife! You should wake up!", I slightly pat her cheek, which always adore a natural blush.

She leaned in more to me, hiding her face, "Go away Mahir!"

I chuckled, "You know I am never going away! Wake up my little temptress!"

Her eyebrow shot up, "I am not little!". Eyes still closed.

"Oh anything that floats your boat. You are so little, you snuggle up completely into me."

She frowned and then opened her eyes, "I am not little! I have defeated the best men in the Jonathan kingdom in sword fight! Well, I have defeated the 'god of war' himself, so he better not call me 'little'!"

She then jumped off the carriage in that long dress!
"You may fall Bella!", I shrieked.
"Oh no! I won't! Enough of being a lady for a day!"

I rolled my eyes and came down the carriage.

I looked around only to see dense forests from all side. I checked for the sword on my waist and the dagger in my hand. Tying the horses on a nearby tree and giving them enough grass for the night, I came to where she was standing near the tree watching the sun set.

"Bella let's go! It's time.."
She nodded, and I gave her my hand to hold.
We started walking in the forest that was in the north.

"Mahir? Do we know how to perform the ritual?"
I shook my head.
"No we don't! Father said everything will go well...we just have to reach the well."

She nodded and we both started to walk in the direction.

It was not even one fourth of our way, when we heard a growl.
Bella gasped, "Mahir! Did you hear that!"
I nodded already alert!
"Just stay behind me!"

I took her hand and wrapped it around me, to be aware she's with me.
I reached for my sword, and pulled it out.

The growl was heard again! This time louder and clearer...
For the first time in my life I felt fear from a wild animal. Not because it could kill me, but because I had someone very precious to me, with me.

We walked further without making any noise and the growl soon subsided.

"You think that was a lion?"
I nodded, "I am sure of that! But don't worry, they won't harm us."

Firstly we were well equipped, secondly the animals here are human friendly. But one can't trust animals! Especially when I had my lioness beside me...

The thought made me chuckle and I received a questioning look from her but who cares?

We walked till there was complete darkness. But thankfully the moonlight overtook and the visibility wasn't reduced considerably.
Just as we were about to reach, we came face to face with a person. My first instinct was to protect Bella from whoever he was, but the person looked anything but harmful.