30.

“It’s not going to bake quickly because you stand there, H.”

“I don't want it to burn.” I kept my stare at the round cake mould, spinning inside of a microwave. “We don't have any more ingredients if we mess up.”

“You worked in a bakery, for god’s sake, Harry.” I scowl when I hear Sydney’s voice from the living room. “Why are you worrying about it?”

“Blondie,” I turn around and put my hand on my hip, glaring at her as she continues to blow the balloons. “I worked at the counter, making receipts and packing people’s orders. I didn't bake cakes and bread and pastries there.”

“Jesus,” she sighs and looks at me while trying the knot of the balloon. “Calm down, Harold. You're anxious, we get it.”

“I’m not.” I quickly turn around and open the door of the microwave when it dings. “There’s nothing to be anxious ab- SHIT!”

I immediately pull my hand back when I accidentally grab the hot container.

“Careful, you dimwit!”

I tightly shut my eyes and grip my hand. The stinging sensation travels through every little corner of my fingers. I looked down and saw the redness spreading through my fingers.

“Are you alright?”

“Yeah,” I look over my shoulder and give Sydney a nod. “Yeah, I'm alright.”

“Okay, but be careful.”

I hum and turn around. I shake my head slightly and grab the glove from the fridge top and slip it on the slightly burnt hand. A small smile forms on my face when a whiff of a sugary scent fills the surroundings. I stare at the perfectly baked cake inside the oven before taking the container out and closing the microwave.

I bring the container a little closer to my face but quickly move away when the steam crashes onto my face. I chuckle to myself and spin around.

“It's perfect!”

Joshua startles as he spins his head at me while the air in the balloon he was knotting gusts out, making a high-pitched noise. Meanwhile, Sydney stands up and rushes into the kitchen.

She gasps as she stands in front of me. “It smells heavenly.” I slap her hand away when she goes to poke the fluffy top of the cake. “Ow!”

“Don't touch it.” I move away from her and place the container down on the plate on the counter. “Now all we have to do is make it look like an actual cake.”

Our attention shifts to my phone on the table when it rings. No one would call at 11 at night unless it's...

“Rose?” my eyes widened. “Who's Rose?”

“Oh my God,” I mumble. “I told her I'd pick her up from her friend's house at 9:30!”

I quickly remove the glove from my hand which made the burns sting harshly, and also remove the apron. “I promised Luna to pick her up from Lucas’s house.” I throw the apron at Sydney and rushed out of the kitchen.

“Why didn't she take her car?” I hear Joshua. “Should I pick up the call?”

“No!” I yell over my shoulder and rush to the door.

I faintly hear them talking in the living room as I quickly change into something that my hand can get hold of, which was a grey full-sleeved tee. I sighed to myself before removing the shirt, covered in little spots of the cake batter, and putting on the grey tee. I toss the shirt on the bed and step towards the mirror. I hurriedly set my hair in somewhat decent manners and walked out of the door.