Chapter One

—First Person POV.—

'I'm going to be late!' I internally shout, feet slapping quietly against the cold floor as I dash through the halls of the castle.

Thankfully, no servants where trotting the halls due to the current hearing that's about to start— Or at least I hoped none would be.

Turning another corner, I'm met with what I could only describe as a brick wall— Throwing me back the way I came and capturing the attention of the thing I had ran into—

Or who, actually "Miss are you okay??" A man's voice questions worriedly as I reach up to hurriedly cover my face and between the cracks of my fingers I see a hand lean down for me.

Keeping one hand on my face still, I reach out with my other— Grasping the tough and calloused hand to let him pull me up.

"Did I hit your face? I'm so sorry Ma'am there's an infirmary in the West wing—" "No, no it's fine." I quickly cut in once I'm back on my feet— Eyes glancing over what limited vision I currently had of the friendly man.

What looked to be an open vest sat along his back with a red scarf-like cloth hanging around his neck— But that wasn't the thing that caught my attention, no, it was the holster clipped across his chest that caught my eye.

And what made it more eye catching was the small piece of metal latched onto the leather— Indicating that this man was 'A common soldier!' I turned away as much as I could to avoid my face being seen.

"I'm so sorry—" "It was my fault, sorry," I politely cut off as I move past him —Still rambling apologies while speed walking off.

Once I deemed I was out of range, I sped up— Legs switching into a run again.

I turn another corner, sprinting to the double staircases built to interlock on opposite sides at the bottom and jumping— Keeping my dress held down as I slid down the polished railing.

It gleams in the light of the sun poking through the many windows lifted against the stone— Those warm rays flickering over me as I slide and hop off at the end to bolt forward again.

Down two more hallways— Those dark oak doors stand slightly ajar, welcoming any who was looking to listen in or —In my case,— Kind of late.

In the midst of all of this, I had brushed aside the encounter with the soldier, focusing on the task at hand as I approach.

My running slows to a fastened walk, being sure to take my steps as quietly as possible while fixing my hair and anything else that could have been out of place.

I come up to the door, patting down my dress in the process of sneaking a short glance into the room.

The court is filled, everyone present and partially sitting with the soft chorus of chatter fluttering through out the room.

And thankfully, the large throne stationed near the very back and heightened part of the room is empty, making me sigh lightly in relief as I gently brush the door open.

With a stiffened yet tenseless posture, I enter, hands pressed gently against the front of my gown as I move— Eyes locked on the empty seat across the room and directly to the side of the throne.

Few people grow quiet, others stare or try to greet me— Of course I smile lightly, nodding in acknowledgement before continuing on my way.

I want to melt once I sit in my chair, posture pristine while I cast a glance out at the people I had just passed by.

A few minutes go by and the door on the far end of the room peaks open— Another figure sneaking in and joining the ranks to the right of the throne aka the opposite side from where I was sitting.