Chapter Eleven

—First Person POV.—

The next few days were.. To say the least, different.

Kirishima had insisted on taking the first shift every night so he could come with me to feed the Shire's their treats— A hobby, as he calls it.

And I didn't really mind the company if I'm being honest, having someone to talk to plus the feeling of being safe with him there had really grown on me—

Well, I had gotten used to it but it seems a specific Shire did not enjoy the extra company at all.

"Come on, just take it!" The red haired man whines as she snorts at him, turning her head away to avoid and ignore the poor— Slightly desperate soldier.

I watched the sight for a few more seconds— Him trying to get her attention by moving in front of her while she continued to turn away and after finishing the last braid in the other Shire's hair, I gave him a couple of pats.

"Maybe we should head back now?" I question slowly, trying my best not to laugh at his slouched and defeated figure.

Looking back over his shoulder— His crimson eyes flicker up to meet mine, staring at me for a moment before "Just one more try?" He pleads and I let out a sigh, nodding quickly for him.

"Okay, just one more— Then I'll feed her if she doesn't—" And he's already attempting to get the Mare's attention again, leaning in front of her and holding the small sugar cube out for her to take.

But sadly, just like all the other times before— She refuses his offer, turning her head away and huffing warningly, causing the crimson soldier to slouch.

I deadpan towards the horses attitude, stepping away from the stallion to meet Kirishima beside the other Shire.

"Oh, that attitude is going to stop you from getting a nice treat." I comment to the animal as I near, running my hand along her side to let her know I was there.

"We can go now, sorry for keeping you—" Kirishima starts and I shake my head, raiding my free hand to quiet him for a second "Back up a little." I command and he follows— Taking a few steps back.

The mare seems to ignore me as I duck under her head to stand a little in front of Kirishima— Before lifting my hand up to rub her face and tilt it in my direction.

"Okay.." I mutter, leading her forward a bit as I step back and grab hold of Kirishima's hand before lightly tugging him forward.

Lifting his empty hand towards her face, I could feel him tense in my grasp "Wait, what are you—" She huffs, snuffing air through her nostrils and causing Kirishima to jump in his spot.

His hand recoils for a moment and I shush him, running my grip from his wrist to the back of his hand and pressing it on to her muzzle.

I glance back at the soldier, his body kind of rigid as my hand cups the back of his and I'm not even holding him here anymore, he could pull his hand away at any moment.

But he doesn't, his eyes widening with excitement as the Shire breathes out and I push his hand up to rub along the front of her face.

"See? Sometimes you just need to.. Slow down." I breathe, nodding my head towards her before stepping back a bit for him "Try feeding her now," I command and he hesitantly lifts his other hand up.

This time, she takes his offering— Chewing the treat while he happily continues petting her with the largest sharp toothed smile I could see through the moonlight.

And I couldn't help my own smile from spreading across my features at the sight.

—Time Skip.—

My smile continued to stay glued to my face come the next morning and even when we packed up for our travels, I couldn't seem to wipe it from my features.

Kirishima seemed to have the same problem, except he didn't seem to realize just how excited he looked.

Leaning on the window sill of my carriage, I watched the crimson soldier guide his horse forward— A closed mouthed smile still stuck to his cheeks since this morning.

And I guess he had felt my eyes on him because he turns, catching my eyes with his before his face broke out into an even larger smile than before.

Those sharp teeth beamed in the sunlight, his hand coming up to subtly wave from his reigns— I waved back before tilting my head against the side of the window to see if anyone else was near.

Thankfully, no one seemed to meet my vision, so I undid the lock at the top of the window and pushed it open slightly- Gesturing for him to come closer.

He seems to get the memo, lightly pulling at the reigns to lead his horse to the side a bit to meet me.

"You look pretty happy, anything exciting happen lately?" I jokingly wonder aloud and he blinks, a small chuckle falling past his lips as he nods.

"Is it really that noticeable?" He questions and I nod in confirmation, smiling down at the soldier as he sweat-drops.

With his little act of embarrassment, he accidentally pulls one side of the horses reigns a little too far— Nearly hitting my carriage and causing the horse to bellow and slow for a second.

I recoil back into my carriage, eyes widening in worry before I poked my head out again to see him gain control of the animal and lead it back to the original spot nearby.

This time, at a safe distance from the carriage.

"Sorry, sorry." He quickly repeats and I laugh, lifting my hand to cover my mouth "You might want to apologize to your buddy there." I comment, idly pointing to the creature as it huffed irritably.

"Right, sorry Riot." He mutters and I lean a bit out of the window— Catching the nickname quickly "You named him Riot?" I question.

And his face lights up with color, cheeks nearly as red as his hair as he smiles and lifts his hands to rub the back of his neck in embarrassment.

"Yeah, after my childhood hero.." He admits sheepishly and I lean in, more intrigued by the odd name "You'll need to tell me about him later," I comment and he nods in agreement.

"As you wish, My Lady." He replies with a joking bow and I roll my eyes at the gesture, opening my mouth to reciprocate his own title—

When the carriage suddenly jolts, horses reeling up and neighing loudly throughout the soldiers around me from the suddenly stop.

"Commander! A Nomu has been sighted!!" I hear a voice shout from up ahead, near the front of the army and a commotion sounds off behind and ahead where the voices had come from.

Looking back and forth, Kirishima quickly waved his hand to get my attention "Quick! Close the window and stay inside! Don't come out!" He shouts to me and I oblige— Swiftly following his commands.

The windows are all locked but their curtains are open— The fight outside sounding muffled from my spot in the carriage.

Of course, I have faith in all of my guards— The other two, Denki and Sero bolting from their spots on the other side of the carriage to take down a Nomu running our way.

I had lost sight of Kirishima, but with the flurry of both Nomu and man running about— I could only hope he'd be okay.

The best thing for me to do right now is sit and wait for the commotion to quiet before getting the okay that we are safe.

Shouts fly outside and I stumble from my seat, moving into a standing position when the carriage suddenly shakes and jolts to the side—

Looking up, I knew we'd be attacked sooner or later but— When I catch sight of the pink brain and dilated, protruding eye of a large Nomu right outside my window—

It looks like it sees me too— Nope, it definitely sees me. It's pupil locked on my figure while I stared right back at it.

'Oh, crap.'