Chapter Thirty-One

—First Person POV.—

"Now.." She drawls on while reaching into her traveling bag and pulling out an all too familiar bounty paper "Tell me, does this guy look familiar to you?"

My eyes trail over the writing along the bottom, eyes wide with fear 'They're after Eijiro?' I internally asked and upon not answering the girls question, the grip on my wrist tightens harshly.

I jolt as a hiss forces its way past my gritted teeth—my eyes squinting shut for a moment with my grimace.

'That's definitely going to leave a bruise.' I tried to look down, the sudden tilt of my head had caused my mask to shift slightly to the side

"Come on," She whines lowly "Don't tell me you're a mute?" The girl wonders—sounding almost deflated with the possibility.

I don't answer again and when the grip feels like it's nearly about to break my wrist in half, I let out a strained huff against the wood of my mask.

"You're sure you didn't grab the wrong one?" The girl asks, making me assume she turned her attention to the guy holding me when he replies—in a clearly annoyed tone "Of course I didn't, she was seriously right there."

"Then why won't she talk?" She continues, causing the guy to shift behind me—raising his shoulders up in a shrug that eased his grip on me just a little bit.

"Beats me."

The girl goes silent for a moment and when she speaks again, I feel the cold metal drag lightly to the side—easing off of me as she grabs the bottom of my mask "Maybe it's the pretty mask." She states, lifting the wood from my face.

My head tilts up with the action, eyes blinking slightly to see her watching me with narrowed eyes.

"Hurry up and ask her the damn question again." The raspy voice speaks up—her golden gaze locked on me and as she took in my features, her brows raising in recognition.

"Wait, I've seen you before." She pauses, leaning uncomfortably close to my face as she continued to analyze me.

"Who cares if you've seen her before, we have a job to do." The man behind me grumbles, his patience clearly wearing thin with the blondes sudden curious antics.

"Fine, fine!" She pouts, fixing the knife up against my throat once more "Do you know this guy?" She finally asks again, adding slight pressure to remind me of the sharp object pressing into my flesh—ready to draw blood if I didn't oblige.

I'm quiet for a few more seconds, further agitating the duo and causing the girls brows to narrow with impatience.

She glances behind me "Can I cut her just a little bit? I'm hungry." The girl complains, her fang-like teeth on display as she ran her tongue over them.

"Get the information and then we'll see." The man commands while the dots in my head finally click with identification towards just exactly what the strange girl was.

"Vampire.." I subconsciously mutter, causing my eyes to widen as her sharp and glowing gaze snaps to me in alert.

"So you can talk!" She notifies, hitching my mask onto a strap along the corset latched across her waist—and as she lifts the paper back up to meet my eyes, I can feel the blade lift from my skin again.

"Great! So you can tell us what we want to know and you'll leave here still breathing!" She states, a hint of sadism in her tone as she tilts her head to the side.

"Still breathing?" I inquire in return "What kind of promise is that?" I ask with furrowed brows.

"It means you get to live." The raspy voice behind me answers for the blonde "Now stop dodging the question and we can get this over with." He grumbles out.