Chapter Four

—First Person POV.—

I step aside, avoiding one of the tree roots sticking upwards from the ground and breaking away from the torch light scattered across the campsite.

After my small movement, a shadow up ahead shifts— Nose tilting over her shoulder to glance at me and after a second her front legs follow her head to finally turn and face me fully.

Her hooves thump softly against the grass, head straining with her attempted approach due to the reigns tied and knotted onto the tree she stood beside, stopped her from getting far.

But it's fine because I'm already trotting on over, gently running my hand over her nose and face to push her back where the ropes won't strain and pull into her face anymore.

She was one of the many horses trained with the basics for the common soldiers— And having seen me multiple times, since I snuck out to feed her often, she didn't mind me getting near.

And from the way she ducks her head away from my grasp to prod against my satchel— She already knows what I'm here to do.

"Okay, okay," I chuckle quietly, brushing her face away so I could open and reach into the bag "Waiting for this?" I question, pulling out one of the many sugar cubes I had packed for this trip.

She snorts, wasting no time in leaning forward for the treat— And I don't pull away, letting her take the small food to enjoy.

I flick the top of the satchel closed— But after a second, she had already downed the treat and was leaning in for more, earning a quick shake of my head.

"Sorry," I mutter, running my hand across the center of her face a few times "But if you want a cube every night you're gonna need to cut back, just so we don't run out before getting there." I reassure.

Her beady eyes glisten in the light of the moon— Split pupil watching me as I come to stand near the side of her neck, moving my hands through her hair to remove any tangles that had found it's way in during the day.

And once I was done, I grabbed a small chunk and started braiding, listening to the sounds of the forest idly as my hands move through her hair, twisting different parts together.

For a moment she's still, letting me braid away at the hair running along the back of her neck— Then he tilts her head downwards, ripping some grass from the forest.

I hear her crunching on the greens for a little while— Finishing another two braids in the process before a weight presses into my side, where my satchel hung.

I ignore her, knowing she wouldn't be able to get the bag open to steal any cubes anyways— And after a few minutes the Shire huffs, puffing air loudly through her nostrils as she lifts her head.

She seems to make a nodding motion with her head, throwing it back with an attitude and stomping her opposite leg to add to it all.

I roll my eyes at the gesture, patting her shoulder as I took a step back— Gaining her attention again when she moved to follow me.

And as we just stare at each other in silence, I sigh, reaching into the satchel and pulling out another sugar cube "Fine, you've earned it anyways— Pulling that whole carriage." I roll my eyes as I watch her immediately go for the treat.

And once she had taken it from my grasp, I love to walk away "There but no more, we need to save some still." I comment but she seems pretty content with the two she had been able to get.

Seeing me back off, she knew it was time for me to head out— So she just turns away to continue grazing.

My eyes cast away as well— Legs following the direction to go to the other horse responsible for pulling my carriage and repeat the same thing.

Well— Minus the attitude, he seems pretty happy with whatever he gets and tonight I guess it's going to be two sugar cubes.

—Third Person POV.—

Smiling nervously, Denki sped walked past another batch of soldiers just chatting away near one of the many tents lining the camp.

One person waved at the blonde, earning a quick wave back but before they could question why he seemed to be in a rush— He was already gone.

He had returned to the supply cart Kirishima had been helping unload earlier— Easily spotting the red head and trying to look as casual as possible as he practically sprinted over.

Hearing the new set of footsteps, Kirishima's gaze flickers upwards and away from the people he had been talking too— Crimson brows furrowing once he caught his friends eyes.

"Hey Kirishima!" The blonde calls out to the confused soldier "Denki? What are you doing here, didn't I tell you to—" Before Kirishima could even finish his question, the blonde had grabbed his arm, dragging him away.

—Off in the direction of the barrels Sero should still be filling up at the moment, or near at least.

"What the— Hey!" Kirishima yells as he's pulled off, practically feeling the panic radiating off of the blonde as they pass by trees to step further into the forest.

And it doesn't take long —With hundreds Kirishima's questions,— To reach their original meeting grounds, finding a familiar black haired soldier chilling on one of the barrels much like the Denki earlier.

"Oh, hey guys." The dark haired soldier calls once he catches sight of the two swiftly moving past some bushes to reach their friend.

Then his dark gaze flickers onto the panic evident in the blondes expression as he finally lets go of Kirishima's arm.

"What's going on?" He slowly questions, earning a worried shrug from his crimson haired friend.

"Lady (Y/n) is gone."

The two stopped in their tracks, sharing the same wide-eyed expression as their attention locked on to their panicking friend— Their own chests filling with similar panic.

"What do you mean 'gone'??" Kirishima repeats, getting closer with his words and causing Denkinto throw his hands up "I mean gone! She's gone— Missing!"

"How?? Are you sure she wasn't just in her tent somewhere—" Sero tried to add in as he hopped down from his resting position on the barrel "No, I checked all through her tent, she's gone!" Denki quickly shut down.

Running his hands through his blonde locks "I showed up and— What if she was kidnapped??" "Abducted." Sero corrected, swiftly earning a glare from Denki.

Now pacing back and forth, Kirishima was panicking just as much as his friends were— Thinking of the worst possibilities on why you wouldn't be where you're supposed to be.

"No," The red head finally spoke up, breaking up the small argument that had started between his two comrades "There's no way— Nobody could just sneak in and just abduct her without anyone noticing." He states.

Having remembered and repeating the words the daughter of the Duke had said earlier— He knew there was no way—

Turning towards the torches of the campsite, he quickly walked between his friends— The two sent looks towards each other before following behind their sharp-toothed friend.

"Kirishima, I'm telling you— I saw it with my own eyes, she's missing! We need to—" Denki's words were drowned out as they continued, passing by trees and heading in the direction of the light.

And with the bonfire coming into view— They all collectively knew they'd be paying that vacant tent a visit.

——————————————————————————