Chapter Sixteen

—First Person POV.—

Night falls by quickly and after a full days worth of traveling— We've settled down in the open valleys, a safe net compared to the forests we have originally been traversing through.

And as the sky darkens once more, I am unable to see it because I'm in my tent— Waiting patiently for my dinner to be delivered.

My eyes stare out at nothing in particular, picking at my nails and just trying to find things to do as my mind wanders back over the past few weeks.

And that's when it finally seems to sink in the at this is my last night out here. The kingdom is most likely half a days worth of travel away now and then that'd be the end.

I glance up with a sigh— Leaning my head back slightly as I relaxed on my bed. By tomorrow night, I'll be in a large bed with a large room provided.

And I let out another sigh, allowing those thoughts to linger a bit longer before I'm called up from my bed by a voice I had become all too familiar with.

"My Lady?" I pause, brows furrowing in confusion when I glance towards the back flap— The opposite direction of the entrance and the direction the voice had called from.

Standing up— I approach the back of the tent "Uh, yes?" I question, confusion fully falling over my features as I crouch to pick up the flap and pull it back for him.

The red headed soldier stands there, his blush covered cheeks visible in the torch light of my tent "Kirishima, what are you doing back here?" I slowly wonder and he sweat-drops nervously.

"Ah, I was wondering—" "Also you're late today." I comment, raising a brow towards his empty hands that very much— Did not hold my dinner.

"Right, sorry—" "And is dinner just not ready? Where's my food?" I question, cutting him off once more and causing him to shrink down a bit as he falls silent.

"Actually, the stars look great tonight!" He states and I want to let him know I can't really see them from inside my tent— "I was wondering, if you'd want to come and see them..?"

I pause at his request, perking up at random idea "You, want me to come out to see them?" I slowly start, trying to make sure I understand his words and he nods.

"Yeah!" He answers and I think for a moment, glancing over my shoulder "What if someone comes to check on me?" I wonder and he just holds his hand out for me.

"Don't worry about that! I made sure to let everyone know you're sleeping and 'don't want to be disturbed'." He smiles as I follow him out of the tent.

One of my brows raising teasingly now "So you lied to everyone," I feigned a gasp in shock and he chuckles lightly "It was for a good cause." He excuses while leading me away where no eyes could see.

And after a few moments of walking in silence, I glance towards the red haired soldier "So, you haven't mentioned where exactly you're taking me." I address.

He nods slightly in acknowledgment, eyes flickering down to meet mine now "It's not that far, but I was walking around earlier and.." His voice trails off as he comes to a stop.

Up a few feet ahead, a blanket laid splayed out— Pushing down the tall grass and creating a space that I'd a assume we'd be able to sit in.

And I was right, he leads me over so we could sit down before handing me the food they had served for dinner tonight— The two of us eating and exchanging some words every now and then as we stared up at the stars.

"But why'd you name your horse that?" I question and he smiles embarrassingly as he takes and sets our plates to the side.

"I already told you, I named him after my idle 'Crimson Riot.' It's kind of the same reason I changed my hair color to red—" "Wait, that's not your real hair color??" I question, cutting in as shock falls across my face.

His expression switches to embarrassment swiftly after my finding, eyes widening once he had realized the information he had just given up.

"What's your real hair color??" I wonder curiously and he sighs "Black."

And I pause, taking a moment to stare at him and imagine what his hair would look like if it was still black— Then a new question perks up in my head.

"Wait, how did you change your hair?" I ask, since it takes a lot of money to even tint your hair a different shade— Much less a vibrant red such as his.

"I'm.. Friends with a few witches, every now and then I need to visit them to redo my hair since the roots start to grow out." He admits— A new silence falling between us as he looks down like he had done something wrong.

Witches, of course. He could be executed just for associating himself with one, unlike Barbarians, they are hard to find— So how he became friends with multiple is beyond me.

"Don't worry, I won't tell anyone." I slowly promise, hoping to ease the air and he glances up at the sky while I continue to keep my eyes trained on him.

Slowly, my gaze falls to his back and I lift my hand to touch his shoulder— He's tense again "You've done a lot today, are you sore?" I ask.

He clears his throat as he nods, nervous eyes flickering to the floor now "Here, lay down." I command lightly and he hesitantly obliges, much quieter compared to last time.

Beside my sitting figure, he plop onto his stomach— Moving his arms to rest his head on as I reached my hand down and started massaging his shoulder.

As we sit— Or lay, in silence, my eyes cast back up to the stars, taking in the sight as they flickering brightly beside the moon, covering everything in a soft light.

I'm glad he brought me out here, staring up as my hand trails to his back to push and rub the muscles that had become tense after the days work.

And as I move, I press on one spot and Kirishima lets out a grunt— My hand pulling back slightly as I glanced down at him "Sorry," I quickly apologize.

His hair shifts slightly as he shakes his head, glancing up to me from the corner of his eye "It's okay," He reassures, letting me return to massaging his back— This time, avoiding that spot.

"You might've pulled something, I'll send the medic again to check it out later." I comment as I watch him— Being sure to avoid the more sore spot as to not cause him any pain or discomfort again.

"I'm fine," He says, sighing when I massage the tension from his other shoulder, my head tilting up to stargaze some more as a smile spreads across my features.

"You were right," I state, earning a questioning "Huh?" From the red haired soldier beside me— His body shifting beneath my touch when he props his arms up beneath his head to look at me.

"You were right," I repeat, referring to what he had said earlier— My eyes catching a shooting star in the distance "The stars do look beautiful tonight." My voice comments as my hand comes to a halt on his back.

"Yeah, beautiful.." His voice falls, a moment of silence overtaking us when I glance his way— And catch him staring at me instead.

And for a moment, his words seem to linger between our locked eyes, a hue of blush dancing across my cheeks now.

Then something pangs against my chest, pushing the warmth away from my face as I cleared my throat "..Thank you, Kirishima." I breathe.

"—For bringing me out here, I wish I could've seen more of it all." I state, choosing to bring the subject back up to the stars as I stare down at the soldier.

He blinks, a look of confusion falling across his features as he perks up "There's still time, (Y/n)." He replies, using my name with his crimson eyes watching as I lightly shook my head.

"That is a nice thought, but.." My gaze returns to the cosmos and I sigh.

"No, there isn't."