Chapter Twenty

—First Person POV.—

Stepping out into the hallway, a few maids trek past— Carrying out their duties of laundry based on the baskets they held in their grasps.

Their voices had gone silent once they saw me, quickly moving out of my way as the two girls I met yesterday emerge from my room.

"Thank you again for helping me get ready." I speak up as Mina closes the door to my temporary room— Signaling a click to confirm it had shut fully.

"It's no problem! Just doing our job." She reassures cheerfully and I can't help but smile at the pinkette— My gaze soon flickering to the shorter, more quiet maid beside me.

Her large eyes seem slightly lidded as her black pupils cast down to the stone floor, she hadn't said much today— Her 'distracted' expression showcasing that she was lost in thought.

Or at least— I think she is. She really isn't that expressive and that's alright, but just in case.. "Are you okay?" I wonder, tone slightly hushed in case anyone lingering in the halls decided they wanted to listen in.

She blinks, those dark eyes flicking up to meet mine with a new sense of life and alertness to them.

"What?" She questions and I tilt my head slightly, she must've been more out of it than I thought.

"You seem a little distracted today Asui, I was wondering if something's bothering you?" I say, prodding gently towards her dimmed state and she pauses.

Her shadow-filled pupils glancing from me to Mina as the pinkette comes up to us.

The two of them stare at each other for a moment, my head tilting to send a glance in Mina's direction before Asui suddenly clears her throat.

"No, I'm alright, thank you for asking." She finally answers when I catch the horned maids head shaking from my peripheral vision.

"..Alright." I mutter; Deciding to drop the topic for now and instead, focus on the meeting to come.

"Well, I guess I'll head off then." I start, looking near the end of the hall where a servant is approaching, clearly heading to us instead of like the others who just wished to pass.

"Again, thank you both for all of your help— I'll be sure to find your superiors and put in good words for you." My kind words drift through the air as a smile forms on my face, glancing to the two once more.

"Yeah, it was fun serving you Lady (Y/n)." Mina easily replies, already starting her own departure in the opposite direction.

She turns with her words, but just like yesterday Asui is stagnant, unmoving and this time she's watching me— Her head tilting back to check on Mina for a moment.

And something seems to finally perk up in her expression, her hand suddenly reaching out and grabbing my wrist gently.

"At the bottom of the walls surrounding this castle, there is a water drainage door big enough for people to fit through and it leads far out into the surrounding village." She states, her voice lower than her usual quiet.

I blink, my expression falling into confusion as my brows furrowed "What? Why are you telling me this?" I question but Mina had turned around and Asui seemed to notice it far before I had—

"Be safe, Kero." She states finally, her grip on my wrist slipping off as she turned to catch up with the taller maid.

"Wait—" "Lady (Y/n)?" The servant wonders, partially moving into my peripheral view to gain my attention and causing me to lose sight of the confusing girl.