Chapter Nine

—First Person POV.—

"..Kirishima?" I call quietly, brows furrowing as I glance out from behind the girl Shire again— And this time, a familiar mess of spiky red hair emerges from behind one of the trees.

Nearly tripping over as he passed through a bush, he glances up to finally meet my eye— Waving awkwardly with a nervous smile on his face "Hey.." He drags out and I deadpan.

Brushing past the still— Clearly angry horse, I make my way over to meet him, arms crossed over my chest while he waits, sweat-dropping with my approach.

"What are you doing here?" I question and he blinks in confusion— Eyes flickering up to look at the huffing horses a few feet behind me.

"Actually, shouldn't I be asking that?" He wonders aloud and I pause— Expression falling slack, he was partially right.

And with an irritated snort sounding off behind me, he reaches out— Placing a hand on my shoulder and moving so we would trade spots and he could be between me and the angered animals.

I don't say anything as I turn around to face him again, his hand falling from my arm and returning to his side.

"So, why are you out here?" He starts up again, finally taking his attention away from the two to talk to me "You know how dangerous it is,"

With his comment I nod in agreement "Just wanted some fresh air." I state "Now my turn, you followed me," He perks up at my comment, brows furrowing.

"Of course I did, you know I'm supposed to protect you." He defends and I deadpan "And when I walk off into the woods your first thought is to sneak after me?" I wonder and he curses under his breath.

"You nearly scared the life out of me," I continued and his shoulders sag a bit "Okay, I'm sorry." He apologizes while I'm still talking— Causing me to pause again.

Staring up at the crimson haired guard, I really can't get mad at him for simply trying to do his job— So I sigh, nodding to gesture that I take his apology.

"I'm sorry too, I know you're just trying to do your job." I state and one of the horses behind him stomps her hoof into the dirt, huffing with her attitude still clear as day.

Kirishima jumps at the sound, head glancing back to pinpoint the Shire.

I chuckle, moving to walk past him but he lightly puts an arm out in front of me— Making me pause once more to look at him.

"Hey it's fine," I reassure— Raising my own hand to brush his aside so I could approach the tall creature "Be careful—" He starts and stops once I reach into my satchel and hand her another sugar cube.

"Earlier, you were asking me what I was doing out here—" I comment, seeing that she had calmed down a large sum after taking the small treat.

I place a hand on her neck, patting it lightly "This is why." I finally answer, returning my attention back to him.

The moonlight spreads across his features— Casting shadows through his spiked hair and leaving room for me to see his completely confused expression.

"The horse?" He questions— Cautiously approaching and pausing behind me when she turns her head his way and snorts again, almost as if warning him—