Chapter Twenty-Eight

—First Person POV.—

"Oh.. Crap." I mutter under my breath, swiftly ducking my head back when one of the guards eyes lock with mine.

"Yeah," The ex-soldier before me agrees—keeping his head low as he drops his arm to grab my hand and tug me to follow him.

"Let's just get out of here." He states and I nod, following his lead in hiding my face as much as possible by keeping my head tilted downwards.

"Hey, you two!"

I freeze from the sudden shout—my eyes immediately flickering back in the direction of the voice, and taking notice of the guard I had made eye contact with earlier.. Now approaching us.

I could feel Kirishima's grip tighten as the thick metal footsteps of the man grew near, no doubt he heard the shout and was now trying to speed up his steps so we could hopefully leave quicker—

"Hey—I'm talking to you," The guard states, suddenly placing a hand onto my shoulder to get my attention and causing my feet to come to a halt.

My sudden stop causes Eijiro's head to snap around and he turns to move back towards me—defensive, ready to fight if the guard poses a threat to me.

I give our joined hands a gentle squeeze, trying to ease the tension coursing through the red-heads bones as a friendly smile graces my features.

"Ah, so sorry! I couldn't hear you, there's so much going on!"  I excuse, letting an innocent giggle brush past my lips while I take this moment to look up at the grey haired guard.

The guard nodded in return, taking my excuse without question before mimicking my smile "Of course ma'am, sorry to bother—I just couldn't help but notice that you two are missing out on the festivities." He informs.

"Really?" I wonder and the guard nods, taking a step a little too close to me after a few people brush behind him.

"My apologies, I just noticed you are.. Not wearing a mask." He finally comments, voice trailing off as he stares down at me—much closer than before and way too close according to the redhead behind me.

I nod passively, leaning back into Kirishima to avoid the close proximity of the man but upon seeing the blush taking over the guards face—an idea blinks to light into my mind.

"Right, of course, we just didn't have time to find the stands." I twist the lie together like sweetened honey, taking this moment to lean forward slightly.

My free hand brushes along the shiny breastplate attached to his chest—fingers dragging against the metal and causing the guards eyes to widen swiftly.

His thick tan-colored eyelashes seem to flutter with the motion while his blush spread further across his cheeks "I—uh, understandable, yeah, of course," He sputters, swiftly clearing his throat and bringing his hand up to brush his messy grey hair away from his face.

Buttering up a guard can help us lay low and hopefully not get arrested due to the wanted posters plastered for all to see just a few feet away.

A distraction, that's all we needed.

With the slight flicker of his dark eyes, the guard glances behind me and seems to finally take notice of the tall soldier looming over my form.

The grey-haired guard pauses for a moment—his smile faltering for a split second before he's clearing his throat again.

"Actually, there is a stand not too far away that sells masks—if you'd like to join in on the festivities, miss..?" Returning his attention back to me, his voice trailed off in a questioning manner as he held his hand out for me.