Chapter Twenty-Three

—First Person POV.—

The crackling wood created warmth against my palms as I sat, it's flames overtaking the darkness through the cave and snuffing it out with its light.

The sounds of thunder and howling wind mixed oddly well with the light steps from the pacing soldier in front of me— His shadow passing over the walls around us as he moved.

He had returned fairly quickly— Drenched, I'll add, but rather fast. And after getting the fire started he had started his worrying, walking back and forth in front of me to showcase his stress.

"I should've protected you better— And now look what I did!" He claims, bringing his hands up to lightly grab at his dripping locks.

"Hey," I start but he just continues pacing, going off on himself "It's all my fault you're stranded here and I knew—" He continues and I sigh.

"Eijiro!" I call and he seems to hear that, turning his head to my figure "What?" He wonders, voice more tame compared to how he was talking just a few seconds ago.

"You did protect me." I state, using a stick to poke at the fire a bit and he falls silent— His body indicating he was staring at me before finally sitting down at my side near the fire.

From my peripheral vision I could see him eyeing me, looking over what I was doing before I finally set the stick down to be engulfed by the flames.

The thunder outside brought my attention to the blanket of rain coating the cave entrance— My eyes running over the water with slight admiration.

"You know.. I wasn't aloud outside the castle walls until our trip." I admit, turning my gaze away from the rain to take in Kirishima's surprised features "I always thought.." I pause.

"You mean— You've never been past the walls? This was your first time?" He wonders, shock clear on his features while I sheepishly nodded.

"Looks like that's another thing I messed up," He chuckles and I shake my head "No, I've had a wonderful time," I smile, my gaze softening as my face heated up.

"It was nice.. Just, being with you."

The soldiers eyes widen more, his face matching the color of his hair now as he nodded and continued to stare at me, my own eyes averting back to the entrance of the cave in embarrassment.

A moment of silence seems to overtake the air around us— Being filled in with the sounds of thunder passing through the sky outside.

"Can I ask you something..?" He asks, earning my attention and causing me to turn— Had he been sitting that close before? I wonder but don't have time to question it as I nod "Of course,"

"What happened back at the castle.. The uhm.." His voice trails off as he chuckles in embarrassment, his face bursting with color to showcase his nervousness "The kiss?" I finish and he nods.

I can't help the heat from rising to my own face at the clear memory "I don't want to make you uncomfortable!" He quickly intercepts "It's just— I don't know what you meant by it..?"

"I.." I pause, avoiding eye contact now "I don't know either, it kind of just happened but.." I say and he seems to deflate slightly towards my words.

"It was nice.." I smile, more to myself before finally lifting my gaze to meet his and his crimson eyes soften in the light of the fire.

He returns the smile, still clearly embarrassed but with a new sense of pride radiating off of him— Those sharp teeth displaying his happiness.

"Yeah, it was." He agrees, voice quiet while I scooted closer —My eyes flickering to his lips for a moment before he scooted a little closer as well,— His hand lightly reaching around my back.