Chapter Six

Thank you for commenting 8lackp1nk !! ❤️

—First Person POV.—

The next week follows the same routine, we travel all day and then bunker down in a campsite surrounded by trees for the night.

Nothing much has happened— The roads have been steady and I have found myself making a small habit of small talk between all of my guards.

Like now— Stepping out of the carriage, the familiar red head helps me down, hand in hand before closing the door behind me.

"Thank you, soldier." I address, smiling happily up at the crimson eyed man and he glances down at my words— Catching my gaze and averting his eyes with a light tint of color resting across his cheeks.

"My Lady." He clears his throat, leading me off past the new batch of trees far away from the ones we had our campsite in last night.

"Okay I know I probably shouldn't ask this but—" He trails off, a smile falling onto his features as the rosy tint diminishes.

"Are you sure it's okay for you to be thanking me so much?" He questions, blinking down at me while my brows furrowed in confusion "What do you mean?"

"I'm just saying— I've seen nobles and not once have I ever heard one say 'thank you'." He points out, curiously looking towards me for any reaction while I just nod in agreement.

He isn't wrong, the basic etiquette classes we go through when young tell us that people like him are lower than us— Therefore there is no point in ever soiling our images by 'thanking' them.

But seeing the stuff they have to go through —That disgusting soup for starters,— Has given me a small insight on people like.. Him.

So saying two simple words is the least I can do.

"As the only Noble here and being higher than all of you, who would go against my wishes to simply thank my guard for helping me when he doesn't have to." I answer, returning to the Noblewoman posture I had drilled into me since I was a child.

He nods— Suddenly pausing and nearly tripping over a tree root "Wait— What do you mean I don't have too—" He asks, quickly regaining his footing to keep up with my pace now.

The chuckle that leaves my lips is quiet— My eyes sending a glance his way "You know you are breaking protocol whenever you help me out of my carriage, right?"

My statement takes a moment to sink in— And after a second, his face slowly shifts into genuine shock and confusion.

"So you didn't know." I finish when he doesn't answer and our walk slows to a stop— Looking into the campsite beyond the bushes rimming it and separating the others from us.

"But we were assigned to you—" "To guard and protect me." I recall, trying not to laugh at his complete bewildered face "Helping me out of my carriage is a servants job, soldier." I emphasize.

"...I, am, so, sorry." He groans, face completely flushed with embarrassment as the revelation finally clicks in his head.

"The other two I work with told me I had to help you out!" He immediately rats and I cover my mouth to further stifle my laughter.

"I never needed help," I manage to reveal.

In truth, the servant that was supposed to be sent with me didn't come because I persuaded my father to let me go alone, not wanting to take his staff because that would just be an extra mouth to feed.