Chapter Twenty-Four

—First Person POV.—

Blinking my eyes open, the warmth beside me nearly lures me back into my dreamless slumber— But when my gaze briefly flickers up for a moment, I'm met with crimson eyes obviously wide awake.

"You're awake?" I wonder— Voice groggy as I gently push off of his chest, sitting up a bit more and only realizing that I had shimmied my way onto his lap during our huddled sleep last night.

"Good morning," He replies, a sheepish grin spreading across his features. I deadpan, hands resting gently against his heated chest as I stare at the soldier.

And after a moment, he clears his throat— Crimson eyes flickering down at my hands before I blink, swiftly pulling off of him with a worried look falling across my features "Oh— Sorry Eij!"

"It's okay," He laughs lightly, both of our faces burning as I move off of him to stand— His tall stature following me up to his feet as well.

I'm brushing off the extra dirt that had found it's way onto my attire when I turn— Seeing Kirishima's back turned to me as he stretches, hands high in the air.

With the morning sun peaking through the front of the cave— I am able to see the tone in his muscles across his back, little pops causing him to sigh in relief before his hands fall back to his sides.

And once he is done, he trots off towards the entrance— Glancing over his shoulder in a way to ask if I was following.

Of course, I blinked out of my admiring state— Hurriedly tailing the red-head and when I come to stand at his side, he's glancing out into the forest.

"Okay, looks like we're good to go." He comments, tilting his head to look at me while I nod— His hands find mine and he gently tugs me out into the warm sunlight.

Birds chirp quietly throughout the forest, the trees hiding us as we walked while the light crunch of grass meets my ears.

And it isn't until a few minutes later that I decide to interrupt the peaceful silence that had surrounded us "Where are we going?" I wonder, tilting my head to glance at him.

His crimson gaze locks onto me for a moment, a smile tied with sharp teeth dancing across his face as he gives my hand a gentle squeeze.

A reassuring gesture.

"I know we can't go back to your homeland— And it's not going to be safe to stay here, so I'm gonna take you back to the realm I—" He pauses his boasting, a slight sense of realization dawning his features before he shakes his head.

"It's uh— I'm just really familiar with it and know it'll be safe until we can find you a home." He explains, finishing off his previous sentence and turning to look forward again.

I pause in my step, staring at Kirishima's averted gaze with curiosity in my eyes "Is there something wrong, Eij?" I question.

His eyes flicker back to me, a nervous smile spreading over his features as he gently shakes his head "No, no, everything's fine My Lady." He replies, causing my eyes to widen slightly.

"Didn't I tell you to call me '(Y/n)'?" I ask, playfully raising a brow towards the crimson soldier and causing him to smile sheepishly, muttering out a short "Sorry," In response.

I smile at that, happy to see his nerves slowly melt away as we venture further through the forest— Growing farther and farther from the castle.

It isn't until a little later that a low grumble escapes my stomach— Alerting me that I hadn't eaten anything since yesterday.

I glance upwards, meeting crimson eyes that had already been trained on me with concern flooding his features "Crap! You're hungry," He states, coming to a swift stop.