Chapter 40

⚠️ Long Chapter ⚠️
(Ahead )

Jungkook slowly inhaled and exhaled closing his eyes, his head throbbed with all the dramas that he came across just in some span of hours. Wish he could go back to the time when he knew nothing about all this mess, living in a lie. Right a lie. A lie about his best buddy, a lie about just being a useless hoe in his liked one's eyes. He felt bitter. The bitterness rose bile in his throat that was hard to swallow. He felt like an old soul, all drained out and tired. But no matter what he needs to fix things. He needs to fight for his soulmate and he will for his best friend.  Something he should have done long ago.

Clearing his thoughts for once and all... He climbed up the stairs of the stage that was decorated in white elegantly for the ring-changing ceremony. From there he could get the perfect view of the audience, basking in their bubble, ignorant about anything and everything other than fine glasses of champagne and people with jewels. All trying hard to secure a business deal or something that would be beneficial for their fame. A night for the business fishers indeed.

Taking a deep breath, Jungkook gripped the mic tight and somehow it buzzed out loud to get the attention of the audience. He eyed the crowd briefly and at that moment his eyes stopped at the sight of brown orbs, looking at him intently from afar, he could recognise those eyes anywhere, anytime and any moment. Those eyes he would have died to get a glimpse of but now he kind of loathes it. Loathes the idea of meeting eyes with Seokjin. Jungkook looked away blinking. But Seokjin didn't.

His eyes followed the latter who was having a nervous breakdown at the stage, having the attention of people that he wasn't accustomed to. 'What was he even doing up there?' He thought to himself.

Silently Seokjin decided to move a bit away from the centre, away from prying eyes and all the possible attention he might get. He settled on one corner from where he could get the view of Jungkook. It was really unlike the said male to take a step like this considering how shy and self-conscious he gets under too much attention.

Seokjin smiled bitterly, it hurts though, just how much he knows about the other, how much time he had spent just observing him from afar, pondering on every detail of the latter for so long and now that finally there were chances for him to get the other closer, it all crushed down in a blink. Leaving him with nothing but hallow pain and a train of thoughts filled with insecurities, giving him again full proof as to why it was never his chance to stand the ground of love in the first place.

But what was important now was the presence of the other on the stage which was noticeably serious from Jungkook's face and it was confirmed when his eyes fell on Kim Hukshin dragging his son by the arm harshly down the stairs, his actions were forceful but still calculated, not to alert the crowd. Seokjin didn't quite grasp what was wrong in the first place.  But noticing the face of Kim Taehyung he knew the situation was concerning. 

Jungkook cleared his voice for the last time before he breathed into the microphone, "Ladies and gentlemen, forgive me for interrupting the wonderful night you all might be enjoying right now. I know a large number of you don't know me either I expect you to. Let me formally introduce myself. I am Jeon Jungkook, best friend of Kim Taehyung, the one  whose engagement you all have been gathered here for."

The crowd gathered around interested in what the younger handsome boy had to say. Some just whispered among themselves not paying attention busy with their stuff.  Jungkook exhaled slowly, closed his eyes, and collected his thoughts for some seconds before continuing. "Am not quite the guy to give a speech on any occasion as you can see is already nervous. But I suppose this is the time I do this for the sake of my best friend." Jungkook looked in the direction of Taehyung who was standing there, wide-eyed, his hands were grasped by none other than his father who was raging, boring holes in his head but Jungkook knew he couldn't do much cause all the eyes were on him. All the important corporate rich assholes' eyes were on him whom Mr Kim cared about.