4: Shadows and Lies.

"So, are you ready to go home now?" Steve asks me as I stand beside his motorcycle.

"Nah, we still have a stop before we go." I replied as I slip on the helmet.

▪️▪️▪️

"The thing is I think it's getting worse. A cop pulled me over last week, he thought I was drunk. I swerved to miss a plastic bag. I thought it was an IED." A female veteran explains.

"Some stuff you leave there, other stuff you bring back. It's our job to figure out how to carry it. Is it gonna be in a big suitcase or in a little man-purse? It's up to you." Sam advices, the session disperses and Sam walks over to us after speaking to the woman from earlier.

"Look who it is. The running man and his sarcastic friend." He replies as he packs up the leaflets.

"I'm sure the lady at the reception thinks you're pretty awesome, that's if she didn't already think so." I replied turning in the direction of the lady, who was stealing glances at us and we  all chuckle when I wink at her, and she looks down blushing.

"Caught the last few minutes. It's pretty intense." Steve says.

"Yeah, brother, we all got the same problems. Guilt, regret." Sam replies making me somber up.

"You lose someone?" I ask.

"My wingman, Riley. Flying a night mission. Standard PJ rescue op, nothing we hadn't done a thousand times before, till RPG knock Riley's dumb ass out of the sky. Nothing I could do. It's like I was up there just to watch." Sam answers.

"I'm sorry." Steve mumbles.

"After that, I had really hard time finding a reason for being over there, you know?" Sam continues.

"But you're happy now, back in the world?" Steve asks.

"Hey, the number of people giving me orders is down to about zero. So, hell, yeah. You thinking about getting out?" Sam asks.

"No. I don't know. To be honest, I don't know what I would do with myself if I did." Steve replied and they both turned to me expecting my reply, making me sigh.

"I don't think there is an out for someone like me." I started, my hands glowing in response. "Sapphire is, she wants to look out for the little guys and be a hero. And that means Lisa never gets a break." I replied and both men just stared at me. "If all that makes any sense."

They both nod in understanding.
"So ultimate fighting?" Sam jokes and I laugh.
"It's just a great idea off the top of my head. But seriously, you guys could do whatever you want to do. What makes you happy?" He asks us.

"Food. Lots of food, pancakes, cheeseburgers, ice cream, basically any food." I reply so quickly that both men turn to me with their raised eyebrows.
"What? A girl's got to eat." I shrug and Steve shakes his head in amusement.

"Actually, I don't know." Steve says making me sigh.

"Don't worry. We'll figure it out." I say quietly taking his hands- which were insanely warm by the way, in mine lacing my fingers though his.
"Together."

▪️▪️▪️

"Who knew eating so much would make me feel so sleepy? No, maybe that's due to the fact that I haven't had a wink of sleep in more than thirty six hours." I mumbled as Steve managed to get down from the bike but I don't. I turn myself to face him, feeling really sleepy.

"Do you think you can walk up those stairs?" He asks in concern.

"Yeah, it might just take me longer than normal. I mean it's just six flight of stairs." I said as I jump down from the bike, me being me managed to stumble, but Steve's hand managed to dart out and steady me.
"Okay, maybe I can't walk up the stairs." I added.