23: James Barnes.

When I opened my eyes again I was outside, lying on a paramedic stretcher with tons of people moving around.

I immediately get up from the stretcher, ignoring the pains in my body, only one goal in mind.

I snatch a scissors or whatever it's called off a paramedic's tray before going over to sit on one of the benches.

I fiddled with the bracelets, that was beeping annoyingly faster. The bracelets snap open and I immediately feel the surge of energy flowing through me.

Someone sits beside me and I see T'Challa sitting there, with a dazed solemn look on his face, making my heart tug.

"I'm sorry for your loss." I said as I put my hand on his shoulder to comfort him. My glowing hands catch my eye and I quickly retract it before I can cause any damage.

He looks down at my glowing hands and down at the bracelets by my feet before taking my hand in his, squeezing.

We stay like that for a few minutes, comforting eachother in silence till Nat finds me.

"Lisa. You can't just walk away like that. Here, Steve is on the phone." She says and I stand up walking away.

"Hey." I move away from Nat and T'Challa.

"Lis." He breathes.

"Are you okay?" He asks and I nodded before remembering that he can't see me.

"Yeah. I am. I took off the bracelets, though it was... after. I should never have worn it. I would've been able to save him... to save them--" I started but he cuts me off.

"Lis, stop. Don't go down that path. What has happened has happened, you need to move on." He says and I nodded again.

"I can't stay here. I know Ross would be after me now." I said before asking in a low voice.
"Do- you know who did it?" I asked.

"They're saying it's him." Steve replies and I know who he's talking about immediately.

"What? He doesn't do that anymore. They both don't do that anymore." I replied.

"I know that. Trust me, I know but they're sending people after them. I have to make sure they are safe." He responds.

"I want to go with you." I told him.

"What? No? I can't ask you--"

"Steve, you're not asking me, I'm telling you I want to come, you can't stop me because it's my duty as much as it is yours." I cut him off.

I turn back to see T'Challa walking away, making me furrow my eyebrows.

"Alright." He says and I hear a firetruck horn on his side at the same time I heard it on mine.

"The hell? You're here already?" I ask.

"Um, yeah. We came with Sharon. Just give Nat the phone and head three trucks down." He instructs and I rolled my eyes.

I hand Nat the phone and she looks at me in confusion.

"Yeah?" She says into the phone.

"Ah, yeah, thanks. I got lucky." She says as another truck horns making me cringe. She stands up looking around, frowning, before giving me a pointed look.

"I know how much Barnes means to you guys. I really do. Stay home. You'll only make this worse. For all of us. Please." She pleads with both of us.

"No. Someone will. If you interfere. That's how it works now." Nat says and I stepped back turning invisible.

"Why?" She asks looking in the direction she'd last seen me.

"Because we're the one least likely to die trying." I said before walking away, in the direction Steve gave me.