6: Bestie Issues.

Olivia stirred awake in Steve's arm just as we reach Sam's building. Steve sets her down and she stumbles against me, her face pink underneath the blood and soot.

Steve knocks on the door as we wait for Sam to open. I keep glancing over my shoulders to check if we weren't being followed.

The glass door slides open revealing the familiar dark skinned man.
"Hey, guys."

"I'm sorry about this. We need a place to lay low." Steve says.

"Everyone we know is trying to kill us." Nat adds.

"Well almost everyone we know in Washington." I added.

Sam pauses a moment and I tense when I realized that he had the choice of rejecting us, what if he had a family that he needs to protect. Gosh, we've only known the poor guy for a few days.

"Not everyone." He replies and relief courses through me.

▪️▪️▪️

I sit on the bed staring at the open window. My thoughts were far from here. Finding out what you believe in, a safe place for you, was a lie all along really sucks.

"Hi." A soft voice calls out snapping me out of my trance. I snap my head in the direction of the blue eyed girl.
"C- can I come in?" She asks.

"Yeah sure." I nodded tapping the spot beside me. She seats on the bed, squirming for a few seconds before moving to seat on the floor.

"How are you feeling?" I ask.

"I'm fine. I'm tired, just a little bit." She replied.

My gaze settles on her, searching her features.
"What is bothering you?" I ask.

"Nothing. It's just that when they don't find us, they are going to send my papa after us." She mumbles.
"I should be worried about that but here I am thinking about if I should call you aunt or just Lisa." She mumbled that last part bit I caught it.

"Just call me Lisa." Her face snaps up in shock and I realized she didn't mean to say that loud.

She looks down, pulling the strads of her hair to the back of her ear but some falls right back, making her huff.

"Would you like me to braid it for you?" I ask.

She looks up at me in surprise, her blue eyes searching over my face before nodding.

She shifts between my legs and my hand goes through her hair. I divide the hair into two before I started to braid. I was on the second braid when she speaks.

"She used to talk about you all the time. She would tell me about a brave girl, little Melissa." She says breaking the soft silence. My heart drops as I listened. I knew this was inevitable.

"It was my fault. It was my fault she was taken. She should have hated me." I mumbled.

She shakes her head in response.
"She didn't hate you. If anything she was proud of you, she always told me that one day, I would get out of there and I should find you. One day I would be an hero just like you. She didn't blame you." She says as tears gathered in my eyes. I finished the braid and she turns around to look at me.

"She promised that you would love me and protect me. Everytime she went out, she would bring home a picture of you from either a magazine or newspaper, it was like you were there with us. She wouldn't have wanted you to blame yourself." She said as her voice cracked. She raised her hand to my face wiping the tears that had slipped down.

Maybe all I needed was someone that knew her like I did to tell me that, everytime someone told me that my subconscious never believed. My heart squeezed and I pulled her into a hug, pressing a long kiss into her hair as tears fell. A wet patch in my shirt made me realize she was crying too.