9: Aftermath

It's been a month since the three Insight Bay crashed into the Potomac, taking HYDRA and SHIELD and three weeks since Steve was discharged from the hospital and a week since Olivia left us with a note that she had to go look for her dad.

We received a text yesterday for us to meet at Fury's grave, said he had something to tell us, so here we are, waiting for that cocky son of a bitch to arrive.

"So, you've experienced this sort of thing before?" He asks as he meets us standing in front of his gravestone.

"You get used to it." Steve replied.

"We've been data-mining HYDRA's files. Looks like a lot of rats didn't go down with the ship. I'm headed to Europe tonight, wanted to ask if you'd come." He asks.

"There's something I gotta do first." Steve replies.

"I think I'm done being an agent for the mean time." I replied and he nods, turning to Sam.

"How about you, Wilson? Could use a man with your abilities." He asks.

"I'm more of a soldier than a spy." Sam replied.

"Alright then." He says and pulls a file out of his coat and hands it to me.
"You deserve to have that. That's the only thing I knew about and I didn't tell you." He says.

I took the file from him and I opened the first page to see a vaguely familiar photo.

Tears filled my eyes as I looked up at him.
"Thanks."

"No problem." He says before looking back at the gravestone.
"Anybody asks for me, tell them they can find me right here."

He walks away and Nat joins us.

"You should be honored, that's about as close as he gets to saying thank you." She says and I smiled.

"Not going with him?" Steve asks.

"No." She replied.

"Not staying here?" I asked.

"I blew all my covers, I gotta go figure out a new one." She responds with a smile.

"That might take a while." I told her and she nods.

"I'm counting on it. That thing you guys asked for, I called in a few favors from Kiev." She says as she hands Steve and I two different files.

"Will you do me a favor? You guys should sort out whatever this is." She says gesturing between Steve and I.

"This is nothing." I replied.

"And you're not a SHIELD agent." She retorts and I rolled my eyes.

"That our neighbor, what was her name again?" I asked, trying to change the topic.

"Sharon. She's nice." She says giving me a knowing look before she kissed Steve on the cheek and pulled me into a hug.

She gives Sam a nod and they both share a look.

"Be careful, guys. You might not want to pull on that thread." She says and Sam follows her.

Steve and I stand in silence as we watched them walk towards her car, glancing back at us every few seconds.

"They did that on purpose didn't they?" I said and Steve chuckles.

"Look, Lis I-"

"I'm sorry I kissed you. It was a spur of the moment one time thing and Rumlow was getting closer and there was nothing else I could think off. It won't ever happen again." I said in one breath and he stiffens for a few moments. "Steve?"

"Yeah. Um, it's fine. I understand." He replies, nodding repeatedly.

"I didn't make us awkward right? We're still friends right?" I asked and he nodded.

"Yeah. We're still friends." He replied as we watched Sam walk back towards us.

"So, you guys going after them?" He asks once he reached us.

"You don't have to come with us." Steve says.

"I know. When do we start?" He asks and I smiled.

A/N: Surprise update.