Chapter 40

READER'S POV

"That's right. I completely forgot about the speech..." Lucifer mumbled as we were outside in the gardens.

"What speech?" I asked him while feeding Raven a bit of my lunch.

"I have to give a report to the full student body on the current state exchange program and how all of our exchange students are doing. I'd planned to talk about Diavolo's plan to achieve harmony between angels, demons, and humans--to call for everyone to understand what he's trying to accomplish but, if we're still in each other's bodies the day after tomorrow, then Satan will end up having to give the speech as me," Lucifer explained to me.

"Oh dear and I guess that means there's also a good chance that Satan might cause trouble," Raven spoke up.

"That's right. Out of all of my brothers, Satan is the one who's most like me. Normally, I think he'd have no trouble handling a task like this. But this time its different. I have no idea what he might do up on stage like that, with an opportunity to ruin my reputation in front of everyone. Hmm, what to do...I mean, I can't very well go up there and give the speech in this body after all," Lucifer grumbled at that last part.

"I think I might be able to help. Raven, you can shape shift right? Can you...?"

"Say no more!" Raven leapt off my lap and then I watched him turn from a small dog to a clone of Lucifer.

"Wow! you're a spitting image!" I spoke with a smile.

"Impressive, except..." Lucifer pointed at the ears and tail that were hanging out.

"Oh, I apologise," Raven spoke before his ears and tail disappeared. "Better?"

"Better but, I still don't think anyone is going to fall for it," Lucifer told me.

"Why not? Raven's transformation is a spitting image of you," I spoke with a smile.

"But what if they see the real Lucifer and everyone is going to wonder which one is real or fake?" Lucifer asked me.

"That's...a good point."

Raven pouted before he turned back into his dog form. "Oh geez and I thought it was a good idea."

"It was but, you can't be too careful," I told him.

"So what to do now?" I heard Lucifer mumble.

"If I'm being honest, Lucifer. I think you should talk to Satan," I suggested.

"...Are you saying that you think Satan would understand where I'm coming from if I spoke with him about this?"

"I don't see why not. Look, I know you two had your differences but, you're brothers aren't you?" I asked him.

"You're right. I can't simply decide that there's no way for us to understand each other. All I have to do is make an honest attempt at reaching common ground."

I smiled when he said this because it reminded me of the day when Jamie arrived to the orphanage and how I was the first person to interact with him.

"Jamie..." I mumbled sadly while Lucifer looked at me with a confused look. "Oh it's nothing!"

"By the way, (Y/n). A little while ago I said- I mean, Satan said- that he was going back to the classroom to grab a study reference book he'd forgotten...and he hasn't come back."

"Oh no...I have a bad feeling about this," I mumbled.

"We need to find him, now!" Lucifer shouted before grabbing my hand and dragging me along with him.

"Wha! hey don't pull me!" I shouted.

***

We got back to the mansion and we went into my room only to find Satan imitating Lucifer.