Chapter 4: Random Singing

Soon enough, Sebek, Rook, and Trey begin to fight back the ghost with their magic. They continue to launch their magic at the ghost and cause damage to it.

The ghost yelps, "Eeek! Such brutality!"

And the ghost quickly retreats soon after.

Sebek crosses his arms with a huff, "Hmph. All bark and no bite, as they say."

"I'm impressed, Sebek. You were amazing back there," Trey says.

"Impressed, are you?" Sebek replies, and soon feels confident, "Heh, You must be unusually perceptive, for a human. Your magic could never compare to Mallues or Lilia's, but it was most precise. As befits a junior, I suppose."

"'As befits'?" Trey questions. Then says, "You talk an awful lot like Rook, you know. Oh, speaking of which -" Then turns to Rook, "What were you saying, Rook? You think you might know where we are? Where did the mirror send us?"

"Well..." Rook says.

Then begins to clear his throat, "Mi mi mi mi miii... Ahem!"

And suddenly, he begins to sing.

Rook Hunt:

Froggy castle...

Moonlit night...

Trey and Sebek flinch with confused looks.

"Now he's... singing? And with such seriousness..." Trey says, shocked.

"Who just bursts into singing all by themselves? That's creepy," Sebek says, disturbed.

Then Trey says, "The random singing isn't all that uncommon actually. He does that sometimes during club meetings."

"How odd," Sebek replies.

"I just thought he'd be more careful about belting out a song somewhere that isn't totally safe," Trey says.

Then calls out, "Hey, Rook? What's the deal buddy?"

However, Rook continues singing.

Rook Hunt:

A drawbridge beyoooond... my reeeach!

Within my dream I keep seeing...

A graaand illuuusiooon

Sebek shouts, "Wait a minute...!

And Rook continues.

Rook Hunt:

Lovely chateau...

Looooming shadow...

Falling chapeau...

And suddenly, Sebek joins in.

Rook Hunt and Sebek Zigvolt:

You have found yourselves in the Reeealm of Darrrkneeess!

"Sebek?!" Trey questions in complete shock. "Now you're getting into it too? Did you hit your head when you fought the ghost?"

"My, my. I see you are most familiar... with this opera!" Rook says.

"An opera?" Trey questions.

"Yes, I am. It's The Moon and the Laughing Night. That was the Realm of Darkness theme," Sebek answers.

Then Trey says, "Look, I'm not exactly a theater guy. Is this show famous?"

"Non. It's not a popular work, revived time and time again. It's an obscure one, known only for truth enthusiasts," Rook says,

Then says to Sebek, "Monsieur Crocodile, I'm most impressed that you know it."

"I remember seeing it when I was a child. My family took a trip to my father's hometown, and it was playing at a local theater there. I saw it just the once, so I can only recall bits and pieces of it. But I still remember that song because it gave me such a fright as a child," Sebek answers.

"Was it that scary?" Trey asks.

Rook explains, "The Moon and the Laughing Night is about a living person who inadvertently wanders into the Spectral Realm and tries to find a way out. It is perhaps a bit intense for children. But if the opera is known for anything, it would be its incredible accuracy! Ghosts are otherworldly beings shrouded in mystery... Yet there was one writer who interviewed 999 ghosts, and subsequently penned 999 works featuring them as a central theme. The piece came in many forms - novels, plays, poetry... But all of them strove to be wholly accurate in their portrayal!

"999 different works? Wow... Talk about prolific," Trey replies.

"Indeed. They say the writer ventured into a certain mansion for their grand thousandth piece... and never came back," Rook adds.

Both Sebek and Trey gulp in reply.

"The Moon and the Laughing Night is their 13th piece of writing! It exudes a vigor that marks the author's early period," Rook says.

"You're quite the avid theater student," Sebek comments.

"I'm a bit of an aficionado, novice though I may be," Rook says.

Then adds in a calm and serious tone, "This is how the protagonist of the Moon and Laughing Night describes the Spectral Realm..."

Then Rook begins to say, "My attention was drawn to the tremendous full moon hanging in the sky. All was moonlight and darkness. Then in that realm so devoid of color, I glimpsed a vast castle veiled in a thick fog. Countless bats swarmed around it, yet their beating wings made no sound. They'd not only lost their lives, but fate commanded them to wander in vain for all eternity... here in the Spectral Realm."

"A full moon and a big castle?" Trey questions.

"Plus a thick fog and bats that make no noise. Now that you mention it, it's the exact scene as in the play," Sebek says, getting a bad feeling.

Soon, the realization clicks in the three boys.

Trey is the first to say, "Does that mean.. We're in the Spectral Realm?"

"It's quite likely," Rook says.

"Hmph," Sebek huffs, and says, "It matters not where we are. My mission remains unchanged. I must rescue Malleus! That's all there is to it! If only I had some clue to aid me in my..." Suddenly, "... hm?"

Sebek notices something, "There's something lying on the flagstone."

Trey walks over to the flagstone to see the object, "You're right. It's a piece of mirror and..." and picks up the mirror fragment.

And grab another object, "A letter?"

Rook recognizes the appearance, "No, it's the same invitation we found at Ramshackle!"

"WHAT?!" Sebek exclaims in shock.

Then Sebek says, "All Night Raven College students are cordially invited to a Halloween party. Come and join the festivities. I await you at the venue."

And is clearly upset, "You mean THAT mockery of an invitation?!"

"Wow, you memorized it," True says.

"I COULD NEVER FORGET HOW IT MADE MY BLOOD BOIL!" Sebek says in anger.

However, Rook looks at the letter and says, "Actually, this one is slightly different. See for yourselves."

Sebek looks at the invite.

The invitation says, "For all to enjoy the Halloween Party, each guest must bring a mirror fragment."

"I assume it means this glass that was with the invitation," Trey says, holding out the mirror fragment.

Then Trey says, "So it's not telling us to dress up this time, but to bring in some trash we found on the ground? What bizarre instructions."

Rook chuckles, "Heh Heh Heh..." and begins to laugh, "Hahaha! Oh, how truly delightful! Shiny puzzle pieces have been thrown into the mix. Their fragmentary nature only adds to the charm. This is getting quite good!"