Chapter 10: An Adventure Novel

Riddle, Ortho, and Ruggie continue to Jade off with their magic. Jade continues to fire his magic, but Ruggie, Ortho, and Riddle continue to battle with their magic with all their might. Jade is proven to be strong, but they manage to defeat him and have him restrained with the ropes.

"Aww man, I totally lost. You guys got moves," Jade says.

Ruggie says in relief, "Phew... Finally managed to subdue him and tie him up."

"Tighten the rope! We can't risk another outburst!" Riddle says.

"Nah, I ain't gonna bother. It was fun while it lasted..." Jade says.

Suddenly, a white mist leaves Jade's body and flies away, and Jade has suddenly fallen unconscious.

"Huh. I think I just saw some kind of white smoke exit Jade Leech's body..." Ortho says.

Jade is still unconscious a bit.

Ruggie says, "His head's dropping. What's going on? Did he pass out?"

Suddenly, Jade wakes up, "Ah... Ruggie?"

He looks around and says, "And Riddle and Ortho are here as well. What brings the three of you together?"

Riddle then asks, "Are you... Jade?"

"Why, of course I am. Have you forgotten that a highlight on your right makes a J for Jade?" Jade answers.

"All right, I think this is really him. Seriously... What a mess that was," Riddle says.

"Really him?'" Jade replies, confused.

Then says, "Also, I'm picking up the distinct smell of soot on my person. May I ask what happened and why I can't seem to move?" And tries to move his body.

"I'll fill you in while we untie you. There's been a lot going on..." Riddle says.

Riddle, Ruggie, and Ortho explain the situation as they untie Jade. Once they're done with the situation, Jade is rather surprised, but still calm.

Jade says, "Now I understand. My goodness, I've caused you all quite a bit of trouble. It seems I demonstrated some rather unbecoming behavior during the blank in my memory."

"You certainly did. It was painful to watch," Riddle says.

"Um, I mean, that was pretty much just typical behavior for Floyd, though..." Ruggie says, "But you don't remember any of it. Have you been brainwashed or something?"

"We know three key facts: Jade had an abrupt personality change, we saw that white smoke, and we're currently in the Spectral Realm. If we consider them together, the only local conclusion is that Jade was possessed by a ghost," Riddle says.

"Yup, I agree! It's a definite possibility," Ortho says.

Then Jade says, "I don't remember much after I went to bed, but I do faintly recall hearing Azul's voice."

"You do? Does that mean he's somewhere around here as well?" Riddle questions.

Then Ortho says, "This is still just conjecture, but... It's possible the rest of the abducted students have been possessed as well."

"I'm terribly concerned about the others. We should move on," Jade says.

"...Are you REALLY Concerned?" Ruggie questions.

"Of course I am! The idea of this being incredibly amusing never even crossed my mind. And, if I might add - I must demand payback from the ghost who so brazenly possessed me. With interest," Jade says.

"We've gained a stalwart companion. Now it's really like we're in an adventure novel!" Ortho says.

Then Riddle says, "All right, is everyone ready? Onward!"

"Right!" Everyone agrees.