Chapter 1: I've Got You Covered

Back at the Forbidden Laboratory, Jamil and Silver are able to find a door and open it, hopefully to a way out. However, they have a shocking sight.

"All I did was open a door in the lab..." Silver says, surprised.

And soon find themselves in some Chinese landscape. There's a Chinese palace with a pagoda, lanterns, long hallways, and even black and white lotus blossoms in small ponds.. There are also mountains around the area. This place is known as the Ethereal Canyon. They look around the area and are shocked.

"I wasn't expecting to walk through and find myself in the mountains," Silver says, surprised, "The lab just disappeared when I shut the door."

"I guess anything goes in the Spectral Realm. I'm starting to feel silly for being surprised," Jamil says.

"We can't be too careful. Let's survey our surroundings as we did in the lab," Silver says.

Soon, the two begin to walk around the area to see the new landscape in the Spectral Realm.

Jamil says, "It's hard to tell what they are, but there are these long structures leading into the fog. Maybe castle walls or corridors. What an odd architectural style. Coming from the Land of Scalding Sands, I can't say it's familiar to me..."

"I see a waterfall further in. Perhaps we're in a canyon of some sort?" Silver replies.

Then says, "At least we don't have to worry about water. We could survive for more than a month out here."

"You have got to be kidding me! Jamil shouts, "The last thing I need is to get stuck here for a month!"

"Kidding you? Did I say something humorous?" Silver asks, confused.

Then says, "My intent was merely to reflect on the strong possibility that the Hallowenders' mission would take a while to complete.

"That's why you're worried about the water?" Jamil questions. "You know, it struck me when you were checking the lab tanks, that you have a real survivalist mindset."

"I like to think I know more about surviving in the wide world than most. I've got you covered if you need anything," Silver says.

"And I'm happy to have you covering me. But the things you say are kind of freaking me out," Jamil says.

Then Silver notices, "I spy water below. Let's descend and see if it's potable."

Jamil and Silver walk down to see flowers floating on the water.

"There are flowers floating on the surface. Aren't those...?" Jamil replies.

"Lotuses, yes I saw them on a postcard my father sent me once," Silver answers.

Then says, "He taught me that plants like this grow in the East, where there's an abundant water supply."

"So your father's not only seen the Spectral Realm, but he's been to the eastern lands as well?" Jamil asks.

"That's right. He loves traveling. He's very knowledgeable and often tells me stories of his time overseas," Silver explains.

"Wow..." Jamil says, impressed, "That sounds fascinating, actually. I've always wanted to visit the East."

"Really?" Silver asks.

And says, "In that case, let me share one of the stories my father told me."

"Look. See all the lotus leaves floating in the water?" Silver questions.

"Yes. they're quite beautiful under the moonlight," Jamil answers.

Then Silver says, "Father says that in the East, being able to run on those leaves across the water's surface is considered the mark of a true warrior."

"That's ridiculous!" Jamil calls out.

Then explains, "It's physically impossible to step on one of those leaves without thinking. Your father must be lying!"

"What do you mean? Father can run on top of them," Silver replies.

Jamil mutters, "Just who is this guy...?"

"I haven't mastered that skill, so I'm not a true warrior yet," Silver adds.

Then looks up to see paper lanterns and says, "Actually, the paper lanterns over our heads remind me of another tale Father told me. In the story, a hero of the East used a lantern rope to save a king's life."

"A hero, huh?" Jamil questions.

"Yes. Though not a mage, that hero was an amazing person who had a profound influence on me when I was a child." Silver says,

"You see, a long time ago..." But as Silver is about to tell the tale, a sound catches his attention, "Hm? I hear something."

Then both Silver and Jamil hear a voice, "Eeee hee hee hee!"

Jamil recognizes it, and it's not a good thing, "That voice... Quick, hide!"

Jamil and Silver quickly hide from the familiar voices. And it's one of the dressed ghosts, along with two ghost guards.

The ghost with the dressed outfit says, "Look at all the mirror fragments we found!"

The first ghost guard says, "It was worth bending together so we could cover more ground."

The second ghost happily says, "The boss will be overjoyed with this haul!"

Silver and Jamil remain hidden and witness the ghosts gathering the mirror fragments.

"The ghosts are carrying the mirror fragments like they're treasure," Silver whispers.

"They're searching for them? So the fragments weren't originally theirs?" Jamil questions.

"It sounds like they've gone through the trouble to procure them as well. They must be very important for the party," Silver says.

Then Silver suggests, "Maybe we should search the canyon for some."

However, Jamil says, "No... I have a better idea."

Suddenly, Jamil comes out of his hiding place to confront the ghosts.

Silver is shocked, "Jamil? What are you -"

"Hey, ghosts!" Jamil sternly says.

The ghosts turn to see him.

The well-dressed ghost says, "A living human? We'd better take him to the boss!"

Then the first guard ghost says, "You'll soon learn to fear us!"

Jamil smirks, "Heh... Bring it on."

And with that, Jamil prepares to fight the ghosts.