Chapter 11: Revived Here and Now

Lilia has taken Briar, and the others of Ramshackle to go settle with the misunderstanding while Malleus and the others remain behind. Luckily, Briar, Lilia, and the others are able to stop the fighting and begin to clear the misunderstanding.

Once they're gone, Malleus says "It would appear our plans have gone awry? I was asked to pretend as though I'd been possessed by the ghost of an evil emperor."

"That explains the pipe organ. You really went all out," Trey replies.

"They told me you were to take in the sights around the Spectral Realm first. Then you would come here for the party. I certainly didn't expect this would cause you such grief. Allow me to offer my apologies," Malleus says.

Then Rook says, "Our peers had been taken, a mysterious invitation popped up, we were whisked away to the Spectral Realm, and a bunch of ghosts threatened us. The evidence clearly pointed us in one direction. On the other hand, we were slow to reassess those initial impressions and quick to use brute force. It would be unfair to lay all the blame at Malleus and the ghosts' feet."

"It just goes to show, violence is never the answer," Silver says.

Then a thought comes to him, "Wait! Was that was you two were trying to teach us all along?"

"How can you be so charitable? There's no way that's true!" Jamil says, confused and dumbfounded.

He then asks, "What about the mirror fragments? Were those another hint?"

"No, we actually do need those," Malleus answers.

Then explains, "I sent the ghosts to gather them, but you all have brought in quite the haul. It must've been rather difficult to find that many. I commend you."

Jamil remains silent and says in thought, "I don't have the heart to tell him I got most of these by tricking Silver and stealing them from the ghosts..."

At the same time, everyone shows Malleus the mirror fragments they found.

"Hm, we do have the correct numbers. Now we'll be able to hold a grand Halloween party," Malleus says.

"What do the fragments have to do with it all?" Rook asks.

"Yes, I've been wondering about their purpose myself," Jamil says.

Then Ace asks, "Was Leona right? Are you trying to piece together some hinky magical artifacts?"

Malleus chuckles, "Heh heh heh... Very well. I shall reveal unto you the truth."

And with that, Malleus begins to cast his magic as he says, "Come, mirror fragments. Return to your proper place! Revert to your proper shape! Let the Sparkling Hall be revived here and now!"

Soon, the mirror fragments are lifted in the air and towards the top of the ceiling. Soon, all the fragments expose a blinding light.

"Whoa!" Everyone replies in surprise.

"Agh, it's blinding!" Silver says.

"I can't see a thing!" Riddle says.

Rook is able to look up in surprise, "Look, above us!"

Everyone soon looks up and they see a sparkling disco ball hanging on the ceiling and the light from the room shimmering around the disco call, and create rainbow colors. In fact, the hall is now colorful, shimmering, sparkly, and very elegant.

Everyone is surprised, "SO SPARKLY!"

"Indeed - this is the Sparkling Hall's true form. Or at the very least, it's how the ghosts describe it to me. This is my first time seeing it as well. It's something of a social spot for ghosts," Malleus says.

He then explains, "Once upon a time, this hall was a vibrant place, filled with light and never-ending laughter. But one day, a few ghosts got carried away and climbed atop the chandelier to hold a duel. And their wild attacks caused the sparkling orb to come crashing down. When it shattered, its pieces flew across the Spectral Realm. No party was ever the same after that. Over time, the ghosts stopped congregating here, and the hall fell into disrepair. The ghosts had given up on finding the broken fragments, but I sought to ignite their passion once more. I thought if I invited enough ghosts and told them they needed the fragments to attend, they would gather scores of them."

But then Ace says, "Sorry to just cut in, but I gotta clarify something. You mean to tell me that the mirror fragments came from..."

"A REGULAR OL' DISCO BALL?!" Ace, Leona, and Floyd ask, stunned.

Floyd is disappointed, "For real? Didn't one of us go on and on about them bein' part of some bad-news artifact? Talk about cryin' wolf!

"Definitely wasn't me," Ace quickly answers.

Then Ace slowly turns his eyes to Leona, "But I do recall SOMEONE putting on a whole let's-get-serious-now speech about how mirrors 'connect two places together...'

Annoyed, Leona says, "Just forget it. All of it. Eject it from your brains."