Chapter 13: A Regular Student

Soon enough, Sebek, Rook, and Trey fight off the ghosts using their magic and do their best to dodge their attacks.

Sebek says, "I show no mercy to any who stand in my way, living or dead!"

He then fires another magic of his ghosts and strikes them with full force.

The smaller dressed ghost says, "It's like he's gonna blow us away with sheer vigor!"

The larger ghost panics, "Aieee! Retreat! Retreeeeat!"

And with that, the ghosts flee on the spot.

"HMPH. FEEBLE GHOSTS," Sebek angrily says.

"Incidentally, I swiped a mirror fragment off those guys before they fled. Assuming the ghost guards were right, this will help us get to the Halloween party," Trey says.

Then Sebek says, "We should have no more interruptions now. You'd better finish what you were about to say, Rook!"

Rook then shows a small frown and says, "You wish to know why I'm so cool under fire, yes? Well... I believe it's due to an experience I had when I was a child."

"What kind of experience?" Sebek questions.

"It happened on an early fall day when I was six," Rook answers.

And explains, "I inadvertently wandered into the depths of the Sunset Savanna's jungles and found myself stranded.

This shocked Sebek and Trey.

Trey asks, "How did you do something so dangerous 'inadvertently'?!"

Rook continues, "Yes, carelessness can be one's downfall, as it nearly was mine. I had survived for over a month in that jungle, alone and unaided. I couldn't use my magic back then. I had only the clothes on my back. So I broke a rock to use as a makeshift knife, whittled a piece of wood into a shield, and braided blades of grass into a rope. I wore mud to mask my scent, dug holes to hide in, and slept under leaves to camouflage myself. At one point, I got stuck in quicksand and remained stock still for 72 hours. Finally, a warthog ambled by, close enough to grab onto, and I made my escape! There was also a tiger that hunted me obsessively, and I eventually had to fight back. The battle took every ounce of my strength and wits! Each time the sun set, I would mark the date with trembling hands, clinging onto life. October 31 was particularly unforgettable... I'd been stung by a poisonous insect. There I was wracked with fever, flitting in and out of delirium when... I saw a ghost. I called upon the very last of my inner reserves and managed to follow it. I eventually collapsed on a riverbank, where a rescue team found me and saved me from the brink of death! I still vividly recall the way my mother cradled me in her arms, amazed that I'd survived in nothing but a grass skirt..."

"Rook..." Trey replies.

He then smiles and asks, "... Did you just make that whole story up?"

Rook chuckles and questions, "Heh heh heh, who's to say? What do you think?"

"You just can't get enough of these elaborate jokes, can you?" Trey replies.

"You were alone in the jungle?" Sebek asks, shocked.

"See? You've put Sebek on the spot. He has no idea how to reply," Trey says.

Sebek screams, "That makes us brethren!"

"Come again?!" Trey says, confused and stunned.

Then Sebek says, "Silver and I had to survive in the wild together. It was part of Lilia's training!"

"I've got Rook as a clubmate and Lilia as a classmate..." Trey says. Then softly says to himself, "Why am I surrounded by weirdos?"

"They say birds of a feather flock together, you know," Rook says.

That clearly offended Trey, "No, I DON'T know! I'm a regular student from a completely normal family!"

"Of course, your experience sounds far more grueling than ours, Rook. To think you were hardened enough to survive such harsh conditions for an entire month, at the tender age of six... And that is why most other incidents leave you unperturbed?" Sebek says.

He smiles and says, "I, SEBEK, AM STRUCK WITH ADMIRATION!"

Trey sheepishly smiles and says, "Sebek, you probably should take anything Rook says with a grain of salt..."

But then says, "But you're not going to listen to me, are you? There's that tunnel vision again."

Then Rook says, "Actually, there is a different reason as to why I'm so calm right now. Sebek, place your palm on my chest, would you?"

"But why?" Sebek asks, and then says, "I'd rather not."

"Come now, don't be shy!" Rook says.

Rook then grabs Sebeks' wrist and places his hand on his chest.

All while Sebek panics, "Rgh! Quit pulling on me! I wasn't being shy, I was... hm?"

Suddenly, Sebek notices, "Your heart's beating rather fast."

"Indeed. You see, I'm quite tense as well. I've lost my dear Vil and Epel, and I can barely rally my strength. The truth is that I'm beside myself with anxiety." Rook says.

He then lets go of Sebek's wrist and says, "But I am not alone... for the Chevalier des Roses and Monsieur Crocodile are with me! Back then, I was powerless and struggled just to live another day... But now, I have faith that the three of us can overcome any hardship together. That faith is what allows me to remain calm in the face of danger!

"You've recognized my strength to such a degree this whole time?" Sebek asks.

Then says with determination, "YES, OF COURSE! WE SHALL OVERCOME THIS ADVERSITY TOGETHER!"

Trey whispers to Rook, "Say, Rook. you're not about to tell me you can manipulate your own heart rate, are you?"

"Why, yes. Do you take issue with my heart of steel, as you describe it?" Rook whispers.

Trey says, "... You know what, I've got nothing to say. Just don't go overboard with our remarkably gullible freshman, okay?"

"But of course! Now, let us proceed onward!" Rook says.

And right when they're about to move forward, the two well dressed ghosts appear again

They both shout, "HOLD IT RIGHT THERE!"

"Looks like the ghosts are back," Sebek says, not amused.

The small ghost says, "You'd better return our mirror fragment this instant!"

Rook chuckles and says, "Heh heh heh... What a perfect opportunity to demonstrate what a powerful team we make."