Chapter 8: Rule 124

The ghosts have become frightened by the sudden scare, they fly away and leave the mirror fragments behind.

"A fine display of prowess all around. I barely had a chance to step in," Jade says.

"Wow, most of the ghosts really did run off! Who knew they were such cowards? Your plan worked perfectly, Riddle! Guess you're not top of your class for nothin'," Ruggie says with a grin.

"Heh. It hardly merits such effusive praise. All the ghosts in the area have fled. Let's see if we can find more mirror fragments before they return. I'll look around the beach. The rest of you split up and search for fragments elsewhere," Riddle says.

"On it!" Everyone agrees.

Soon, Riddle takes his leave and heads off to find the mirror fragments. However, Jade, Ruggie, and Ortho stay behind with smiles.

Jade then turns to the others and says, "...So. Who would like to hear the story Riddle didn't want me to share?'

"I knew I could count on you!" Ruggie says with an eager grin and snickers, "Shyeheehee, Riddle's out of his mind if he thought he could vidvert us that easily. Of course we want to hear it! It takes a lot to make Riddle lose his cool, so if he wanted to hide it that badly, it's gotta be good."

"Is it any of our business, though? I'm very curious, but still..." Ortho says, unsure about listening to the story.

Jade reassures, "Worry not. It's nothing negative. It was something that left a deep impression on me, which is why I so eagerly wish to share it."

And with that, Jade explains, "It happened about six months after Riddle became housewarden, and a bit before Azul did..."

Flashback: Octavinelle Dorm Lounge

Riddle walks in and meet up with Azul and Jade

Riddle says, "Hello there."

"Why, hello, Riddle. It's not everyday you visit Octavinelle. What can we do for you?" Jade replies.

"I would like to borrow your lounge. I've already obtained permission from your housewarden," Riddle says.

"You wish to use our lounge? Are you holding a meeting of some kind?" Azul questions.

"No. I got caught in a sudden storm on my way back from class, and am now thoroughly soaked," Riddle answers.

"I beg your pardon...?" Azul says, confused.

Then says, a bit still a bit skeptical, "Well, I suppose if the housewarden gave you permission, there's no sense in us weighing in on the matter. It's all yours."

"If you'll excuse me, then," Riddle says and takes his leave.

A little confused, Jade whispers, "He came to Octavinelle because he got wet? Did he want to borrow some towels?"

Azul whispers, "He could have gone straight to Hearthslabyul if that was the case. There's no reason for him to make the trek over here for that. Just what is Riddle scheming...?"

Suddenly, Azul notices something shocking, "Wait, what's he doing?"

What Azul and Jade see is Riddle running around one of the lounge's tables while he's soaking wet.

"Riddle is..." Jade says.

Then Azul adds, "... running laps around the lounge table?!"

"Is this some terrestrial human custom we're unfamiliar with?" Jade asks.

But Azul says, "No, that's patently absurd!" Then turns to Jade, "... Right?" and still confused.

Then Jade says, "I think I'll save us some time and ask him directly."

Jade then walks toward the table where Riddle is running around and asks, "Riddle, may ask why you're running in circles while sopping wet?"

Still running and breathing, Riddle answers, "Rule... 124... 'When you get soaking wet, you must dry off with a run in the ocean!'"

"Pardon? Azul replies, baffled.

Then says, "Dry off by running... in the ocean? Wouldn't normal logic dictate that that's physically impossible?! You'f have to be a real idio - ah, foo - I mean, a highly eccentric person to follow that ridiculous rule!"

"It's true drying off underwater isn't possible by any..." Jade says, but, "Ah!"

Still running, Riddle says, "I see you... get the picture, Jade! Yes. By NORMAL logic, it's physically impossible to dry off by running in the ocean. However!"

"Since Octavinelle is in the ocean itself, it's possible to do so here!" Jade adds.

And asks, "Do I have that right, Riddle?"

"YES!" Riddle answers.

Soon, many of the Octavinelle students rush over to watch Riddle running, much to his annoyed expression.

Flashback Ends:

Jade says, "And so Riddle spent the next six hours running in the dorm until he was completely dried off."

"SIX HOURS?!" Ortho and Riddle ask in shock.

"Every Octavinelle student who passed through the lounge was struck by his spirit. Why, Floyd tried to capture it on video, even though he was laughing so hard he couldn't breathe. He must have been highly impressed," Jade says.

But Ruggie says, "Busting a gut laughing doesn't sound impressive to me! Y'know, I've always had an inkling that there was something more to Riddle than just being a straitlaced honor student, but boy..."

"What a weird guy!" Ortho says.

"You said it, not me," Ruggie replies.

"I'll never forget the way he ran. He kept jumping all around while singing some nigh-incomprehensible song about spinning and twirling," Jade says.

He smiles and says, "It was rather like this..."

Jade then runs and begins to spin and twirls, and jump.

But soon, Riddle comes in as he shouts in anger, "JAAADE!"

Ortho and Ruggie become shocked and scared to see Riddle has come back, and has seen what is taking place.

"Whuh-oh, Riddle spotted us. He's coming this way!" Ruggie says, shocked.

Riddle marches up to Jade and angrily says, "The way you were running just now... You told them about Rule 124, didn't you?!"

"Why, yes," Jade admits.

"Is that all you have to say for yourself?" Riddle questions with a frown.

And angrily says, "Now even Ruggie and Ortho know about it. You Octavinelle students really are twisted! You all keep dredging up an incident I CLEARLY don't want discussed. Have you no heart?!"

Suddenly, ghosts guards make their appearance.

One asks, "Did you all hear voices just now?"

The four students soon notice the ghost guards.

"More ghosts! Looks like a different group than the ones we frightened off," Ortho says.

"Dial it down, Riddle! Let's give 'em the scare treatment before they spot us!" Ruggie says.

Riddle growls in anger, "Grr..."