Chapter 12: A Major Influence

And with that, the group decide to teach the ghosts a lesson, and scare before the ghosts have the chance.

Sebek shouts, "RAWR!"

The second ghosts scream, "AIEEE! Fall back! Retreat!"

And with that, the ghosts flee without putting up much of a fight.

Sebek laughs with pride, "Hah hah hah! Spineless cowards, the lot of them. A little display of aggression and they scatter like so many baby spiders!"

Trey looks around and says, "Looks like they're all gone."

And then Trey turns to Sebek and asks, "So! What's your dad like, Sebek?"

"What's he like? He's just a human," Sebek answers

Then explains, "He runs a small yet busy dental clinic. He seems to enjoy it. Most Briar Valley inhabitants are fae, and fae teeth grows in varying numbers and fashion depending on lineage. As those unique detail challenges require ample time to properly treat... My father insists on limiting the number of patients he sees. I'll be the first to admit he's an odd one. I can't fathom why MOTHER chose to wed HIM, of all people..."

"He does custom dental treatments for different types of fae teeth?" Trey asks, shocked. "Sounds like he'd have to know a LOT to pull that off."

He smiles and says, "I'd love to meet your dad sometimes!"

"Speaking of things I can't fathom..." Sebek says in shock.

And asks, "Why do you look so excited?"

Rook answers, "You've piqued Trey's intellectual curiosity."

Then Deuce says, "You see, Sebek, toothbrushing is a hobby of his."

"WHAT?!" How utterly bizarre," Sebek says, shocked and confused.

Deuce frowns, "Hey, don't make fun of him. Trey's parents run a bakery, so naturally he follows their advice and is real thorough about brushing his teeth... But he also looks out for the people around him, so they can enjoy their sweets more."

"It's one thing to say it's important, but making it a hobby is still bizarre!" Sebek says.

"You think so?" Trey asks.

Then says, "Personally, I believe dental health has a major influence on our overall physical wellness. Your father's work is extremely important."

"Huh!" Sebek says, confused.

Then says, "... Well, I suppose he's highly regarded for his skills, even in our neighborhood. Mother does chip in, though her work tends to be sloppy. She's not particularly suited to work involving minute details. But my father never gets angry with her. They always seem happy working together... I suppose he's magnanimous, in his own way.

"Where's the booming voice of yours, Sebek? Are you EMBARRASSED?" Deuce asks with a smirk on his face.

Sebek shouts in anger, "ABSOLUTELY NOT!"

And huffs as he crosses his arms, "Hmph! I've nothing more to add to this subject. I say we hear from Rook next."

"Moi?" Rook asks.

"That's right. You've shared many a fascinating tale today. What kind of upbringing did you have?" Sebek says.

"Oh, just one where we respected each other's quirk and always helped out loved ones in need. All very ordinary, I assure you!" Rook answers.

"Ordinary, you say. I somehow doubt that, giving the experience and bits of knowledge you've shared today," Sebek says.

"...Hm?" Trey replies.

Then says, "Hey, something moved behind that pillar!"

"What? It must be the ghosts. They're back already!" Sebek says, having his guard up.

"Probably still gathering mirror fragments. Time to teach 'em another lesson!" Deuce says, plans to have another round of payback.

Then Sebek and Trey run off.

"... And there they go," Trey says.

He sheepishly smiles, "I feel a little bad for fibbing, but that should distract them from asking about family when they get back."

"Trey... Did you create a distraction for my benefit?" Rook asks.

"Maybe," Trey answers, "I just figured you wouldn't want people prying into your private life. I've noticed you tend to steer clear of that kind of stuff when we talk at club meetings. But I'm sorry if I read too much into it and overstepped."

"Oh my..." Rook replies.

And says, "Such a pleasant distance you maintain, never prying into others' hearts. I'm forever grateful for your discretion. How fortunate I am to have a steadfast companion such as yourself! Merci, Chevalier des Roses!"

"If you're so greatful, you could stop calling me that..." Trey says.

Suddenly, Deuce shouts, "HEY!"

That catches Trey and Rook's attention.

"Huh? Was that Deuce? What's going on?" Trey wonders.

"We should check on them!" Rook says.

Trey and Rook rush over and find Sebek and Deuce fighting over the mirror fragments with the ghost.

Hands off! We found that mirror fragment first!" Deuce angrily says and pulls on the fragment.

The ghost pulls the fragment, "Yeah, well we TOUCHED it first! Neener, neener, neener!"

"What an ill-mannered ghost. I won't stand for this!" Sebek angrily says.

"Deuce and Sebek are playing tug o' war with some ghosts over a fragment..." Trey says, shocked.

Then says, "I didn't think ghosts would actually be there! Let's go back them up."

But Rook says, "A moment, if you would. I fear our current approach will lead to our demise before we ever reach the Halloween party."

"Yeah, we have been using magic way too much. Blot is definitely a concern..." Treys says.

And tries to think of a plan, "But how do we get rid of the ghosts without magic?"

Then Rook says, "I've observed one particular thing during our travels - the ghosts are always quick to run when we do battle. It's possible they're more cowardly than we think. Therefore, I propose we sneak up behind them while they're distracted fighting Sebek and Deuce."

Then says with a serious tone of voice, "We shall frighten the proverbial pants off them!"