Chapter 9: A Comfy Bed

After scaring the ghost away, everyone seems to be calm.

Ortho says, "Those ghosts screamed and took off as soon as they saw the look on Riddle Roseheart's face."

"Can you blame 'em? Ruggie replies.

"Excellent work. Another fine display," Jade says.

However, Riddle is still pretty angry and says, "Compliments from you mean nothing! You're just mocking me again!"

"C'mon, Riddle. I'm sure he's done with that by now. And none of us are gonna go blabbing to the others," Ruggie says.

"Yeah! Everyone's got memories that make them cringe. It's nothing to be embarrassed about," Ortho says.

But Riddle says, "I must beg to differ. I still can't believe what a fool I was... I completely failed to prepare for the rain!"

"That's what you're embarrassed about?!" Ortho and Ruggie ask, confused.

Riddle continues, "I thought I was set just because I memorized all the rules. The HUBRIS of it all... That hubris was my downfall. If not for that, I would never have been forced to disgrace myself by borrowing the Octavinelle lounge. But I'll never make THAT mistake again. Now I carry a folding umbrella wherever I go! That way I never have to worry about getting wet!"

But then Jade says, "My word... What an incredible mindset you have, Riddle. Truely, your determination to better yourself knows no bounds! I must tell Azul and Floyd when we get back to school. They'll be beside themselves with lau- ah, with admiration."

"By all means, do," Riddle answers, unexpectedly.

Then says, "The Queen of Heart's teachings are beneficial to ALL students, not just those in Heartslabyul."

Ortho and Ruggie remain silent as the others talk.

Then Ruggie sys, "Y'know. I expected that story to reveal some kind of weakness... But nope, all I get out of it is that Riddle's one strange bird."

"Agreed... Hm?" Ortho says.

Ortho soon notices another door, "Look, there's a door in that cave! It must be another gateway. Let's check it out!"

Agreeing to the idea, Ortho walks over, opens the door, then he and others enter the room. And soon, they find themselves in the strange stairways again, or at least at a different location.

"This looks a lot like where we found Jade. Maybe we can get through to the headmage here. Let's try the Viewglass," Riddle says.

Suddenly, something or someone knock the Viewglass from his hand.

Riddle becomes startled, "Huh? Someone knocked it out of my hand!"

"Who's there?!" Ruggie demands.

Then someone says, "You just got here, and you lackeys are already calling in upper management for an all-hands. Gotta update those primary action items, huh? What is the point of expending all the energy?"

This time, the one to arrive is Azul.

Azul yawns and says, "Such a drag..."

"Azul?!" Riddle replies in shock.

The others are just as shocked and baffled.

Then Azul says, "We're all gonna be ghosts in the end, so why bother with needless exertion? If we're goin' to the same place anyway, why do more than just eat and sleep? All you need is a comfy bed..." and yawns.

Shocked, Ruggie says, "That's the last thing I'd expect Azul to say. He's all about the ol' razzle-dazzle, and he'd take an opportunity to get ahead!"

"Azul Ashengrotto must be possessed as well!" Ortho concludes.

"Ugh, this is so draining... just trying to stay on my feet is a hassle. I'mma lie down for this convo," Azul says, and does just that.

He lies on the floor and says, "There, much better."

"He's actually lying down..." Ruggie says.

And Azul says, "Just BREATHING is enough of a chore. You should be grateful I'm chatting with you at all."

"Having him talk to us while he's lounging on the floor is somehow more irksome than his usual barbs," Riddle comments and grows irritated.

Then Azul says, "Now look at you. Your blood pressure must be through the roof. What a pointless waste of calories."

That makes Riddle furious, "YEEEAAARGH!" and it looks like Riddle is ready to attack him.

"Oh gosh... It's almost like he's doing an Idia impression. We can't let this go on!" Ortho says.

Then turns to Jade, "Jade Leech, he's your housewarden, right? Do something!"

"Oh, but it's so entertaining. Couldn't we just leave him like this for a while?" Jade says with a smug face.

"What?!" Ortho exclaims in shock.

Then Riddle says, "You might permit this as his vice housewarden, but I certainly won't! Azul may be a rotten schemer who constantly tries to prey on people around him, but... He always put forth an unstinting effort. That's the one thing I respect about him! I acknowledge he's someone worth standing together with, as a fellow sophomore housewarden! If he's going to continue embarrassing himself with this slovenly display, I'll have his head myself!"

Then says to the others, "Come, everyone. We'll fix his bad attitude the hard way!"

Everyone is soon ready to fight Azul and bring him back to his senses.