Chapter 8: Too Stimulating

With no other choice, Riddle, Ruggie, and Ortho use their magic and other methods to defeat the ghosts who have started to attack them. And battling the ghost isn't that much trouble.

One of the ghost guards screams, "Aaah! Their horrifying faces will give me nightmares forever! SAVE MEEE!"

And the girls retreat on the spot.

"That takes care of them! Now let's snag that treasure!" Ruggie says.

"I'll go down and fetch it!" Ortho says.

"Thanks," Riddle says.

Ortho flies down into the well and picks up the object. Then flies back out.

Ortho says, "It's..." and presents a mirror fragment.

Ruggie is very disappointed, "... A MIRROR FRAGMENT?! I thought we were gonna find buried gold or jewels after such a fancy clue!"

"Um... Ruggie Bucchi, may I have a quick word?" Ortho questions.

"What's up?" Ruggie asks.

Ortho and Ruggie then walk off, leaving Riddle behind.

Then Ortho whispers, "I have a confession to make about the light shining on the well. I didn't stumble across that clue. I caused it to reflect a beam of light from my arm emitter off the fragment. I just thought it would be fun to give Riddle Roseheart a little surprise while we were talking about treasure hunts. I wasn't expecting we'd actually find something in the well. My actions also resulted in us getting in another ghost fight. Do you think he'll be mad?"

"My two cents? You should never, ever tell Riddle what you just told me. I'm sure he'd fly off the handle and be all like 'How dare you deceived me!"

Riddle remains silent and says, "Absolutely... INCREDIBLE!" and actually smile.

"Huh?!" Otho and Ruggie are surprised.

They're surprised at how Riddle will react.

Riddle smiles and says, "That was amazing! We actually found what we were looking for! We never would've tried the well first if we hadn't discussed mirror puzzles. Puzzle-solving is clearly nothing to sneeze at! And the heart-pounding rush of anticipation right before you opened the box... I've never felt this way before!"

"I mean, I got pretty excited myself, but... I've never seen anyone so ecstatic over a basic light puzzle," Ruggie says.

"Maybe it was too stimulating for Riddle Roseheart," Ortho suggests.

Then says, "It just goes to show that everyone should indulge in a moderate amount of entertainment. It's like my brother says... 'The more you try and wean yourself off your hobbies, the harder it hits when you grow up. So I pot for no weaning at all. EZ'"

"Treasure hunting truly is a delight. I think I'll read the Adventure of Captain Mustache once we wrap up this Halloween! I hope the school has it." Riddle says, very happily.

"Well hey, as long as you had fun," Ruggie says.

Then Ortho says, "You know, escape rooms are awfully popular right now with puzzle enthusiasts. India won't do one with me though. He really doesn't like going outside."

Then asks, "Would you two like to join me for one after we get back to campus?"

"Hey, I'm down as long as you're pickin' up the tab," Ruggie says.

And suddenly, the ghost from before has returned, "You there!"

"Hm?" Riddle questions.

They turn to see the ghost again.

Riddle yelps, "ACK!"

And soon, the two well dressed ghosts arrived along with more guards.

Ortho surprisingly says, "It's a whole ghost army!"

Then one of the ghost guards says, "Townspeople! Let us band together to defend our home and take down the intruders!"

And with that, they all charge, "YEEAAAH!"

Riddle says to Ruggie and Ortho, "They're attacking! Ready yourselves!"

Riddle, Otho and Ruggie bring out their magepens, and attack the ghosts army on their own.