-7-

"Grandma, I'm gonna spend the night at Callum's place." I said, plugging in my phone to charge on the counter. "What would you like for dinner?"

She smiled as she looked up from her book. "Is Jackson doing well?"

"Yes, ma'am. He says that it's likely he'll get a raise soon, so he is looking forward to it."

"You should invite him over for dinner one of these days, Theodore."

"He usually refuses, but I'll try to ask him under the guise of celebrating his raise." I responded with a grin, pulling out a pan.

"How clever of you, Theodore." She chuckled, then smiled as she replied to my earlier question, "Anything is fine with me for dinner. Make enough to take some back with you, all right?"

"That was my plan."

"You really are a good, thoughtful young man, Theodore."

"Not really, but thank you for thinking of me in such a way, Grandma." I said with a smile, putting the raw, seasoned chicken breasts into the sizzling pan.

She slowly stood up and waddled over the pantry. I tried to stop her, but I was in the midst of washing my hands. She chuckled as she set out the flour next to the olive oil.

"Mushrooms?" asked Grandma, so I nodded.

"Thank you."

"It's the least I can do for a grandson who takes care of me."

I smiled and silently worked on dinner while she went back to the breakfast nook to read. It took about an hour, but I plated my grandma's portion and readied containers for the rest of the meal. A moment later, I checked my phone and saw the missed calls from Jackson and Callum. Oops.

When my phone buzzed on the counter, I answered it this time. "Uh, hey?"

"Teddy!" exclaimed Callum. "What's taking you so long?"

"Sorry, I made dinner for Grandma. I'm bringing the rest over, okay?"

"Ooh, yes!" he squealed, and I could imagine him bouncing all over the place. "Then we'll see you in twenty minutes!"

"Yep, see you. Tell Jackson I'm sorry for worrying him."

"Sure thing, Teddy." Callum seemed to smile, then he ended the call.

I quickly packed everything up and put the containers into a cooler bag, then kissed my grandma's cheek. "See you tomorrow. Sleep well!"

She smiled, waving at me as I left with my backpack and the food bag. "You too, Theodore!"

I locked the door behind me and walked quickly out of the front gate, then down the street. I felt some random gazes and rolled my eyes. Probably the usual guys. I blinked when no one attacked. In fact, the gazes were gone.

"Weird," I murmured, then continued towards my destination completely unbothered.

I hiked up the stairs and walked down the hallway, but as I reached for Jackson's apartment, hands grabbed me and yanked my body backwards. In the blink of an eye, I drove my right heel between one attacker's legs, which made him yelp in pain. I turned and twisted to do a side kick on the second guy, getting him away from me for a short time since the other was incapacitated for now.

I hurried to the correct door and knocked, taking off the cooler bag. As soon as Callum opened it, I shoved the cooler bag inside the apartment and removed my backpack.

"Shut the door, Cale!"

He peeked out, then squeaked when something clattered next to his head. It was a rock. Callum shut and locked the door, and I heard him talking to Jackson and Tyrone in a slightly panicked tone of voice as one of the two guys approached me. The other guy was still suffering while holding his junk, but he was pissed off. No surprise there.