-44-

A knock landed on the door, so Papa looked up and allowed the person to come inside his office. I was sitting on his lap, working on my own pile of papers while he did his work on the computer.

Aimé had gone home today for an important job, so I prepared him for his separation from me with lots of pain and affection, all of which he thoroughly enjoyed.

"Boss," started Trent, "there's someone at the gate requesting to speak with you about a person we know."

Papa straightened as Trent stepped through the doorway. "Who?"

"He claims he may have some connection to Teddy."

I blinked. "Again?"

"Yes, and that's why we're suspicious of him."

"Does he look like me, like Lander sort of did?"

Trent shook his head. "No, not really."

Papa sighed, typing into his computer to call up the live gate feed. I tilted my head and curled down a bit, then my jaw dropped.

"That guy!" I exclaimed, and Papa stiffened with a growl. It cut off when I turned all the way around and kissed his cheek to shush him. "Papa, I met him at the hospital a couple weeks ago!"

His golden-brown eyes held a dangerous gleam. "What did you feel when you met him?"

I licked my bottom lip and scraped it with my top teeth while I tried to remember. Papa tugged my lip out from under my teeth, then pressed a chaste kiss to my lips. I giggled and pushed my fingers through his beautiful, silky hair. Papa smiled and nuzzled my head.

"The feeling I got was slightly comforting—like I could tell him everything and feel good about it. Just like with you, Papa."

Papa chuckled and kissed my collarbones. "That is a good thing, my baby boy."

I nodded, nosing his cheek. "So, um, I really don't think he's a bad man, Papa. He seemed to be familiar with the hospital, too."

Papa hummed. "Trent, the man is allowed in, but I want Xavier patting him down before he enters our home. And, just in case, please make sure he has no weapons or bombs in and or on his vehicle."

"Yes, sir." responded Trent, who then hurried to Papa's side to receive my good luck kiss on his cheek.

He grinned and disappeared from the room. I tucked my head down and peered over Papa's shoulder at the wall behind him. Light was coming in from the two windows near the corners, but they weren't directly behind the desk. He leaned his head on mine, so I sighed and kissed his jaw.

"Who do you think this man is to you, my little teddy bear?"

"Hmm, I don't know. Although I feel like I won't be surprised once the truth is revealed. He was strangely familiar, even though I have no recollection of meeting him."

Papa hummed again, leaning back in his chair while he stroked my back. My burns had healed surprisingly well with the help of that cooling silver gel Aimé and Papa have been using on me. There was still some scarring and that's going to stay, but I have full mobility now.

Thanks to this and that, I got back into training recently and I feel very happy again. Everything was sort of back to normal, but Papa continues to apply the gel and massage my back—not that I was complaining.

About a half hour after Trent left, he came back again. I looked up from my work on the desk and rubbed my eyes with a yawn. Papa had let me turn around and get back to work about fifteen minutes ago, even though I wanted a bit of a nap.