-41-

Derek Simon (the guy in my college course who liked to incite my wrath to keep my attention on him) was tied up with bruises covering most of his bare, broken body. From what I could see, he was the one missing fingers and toes. I could only hope the doctored photos that were sent to the Black Vipers were fake with no truth behind them, but I doubt it.

I swallowed thickly. He looked so thin. How long had he been trapped under the Ivory Tigers' claws? Was he snatched that same day I was picked up by Papa? That was around three months ago.

"Surprised?" asked the voice, then its owner slowly removed the voice-changer. "He was easy to capture."

"Grandma," I sneered. "Oh, my bad. It's Silvia Hunter, isn't it?"

Silvia, my grandmother, slowly rose to her feet and dusted off the seat of her pants. She smirked at me, squaring her shoulders as she straightened. There was no trace of the feeble old woman that she'd been in front of me. Everything had been an act.

"Yes, Theodore. It's a shame my game couldn't go as planned, but I did have fun with that kid from your college. His screams are so nice to hear. You should listen to them sometime."

"Your game is over, Silvia."

She chuckled. "Oh, no, not quite yet."

I snapped my wrist and she dodged one knife, so it clattered to the cement floor. It hit the wall and returned to me as it spun across the floor just as I sent the other knife in her direction. My grandmother couldn't dodge it this time. The knife lodged in her chest and she gasped, coughing at the sudden pain.

"Yes, your ridiculous games are over. Who the fuck are you, really? Why even bother to do all this? Do you hate me or something?"

She spat blood as she laughed. "Oh, you have no idea, Theodore. I hate you so fucking much!" she hissed, grabbing her gun off the desk and aiming at me.

My friends and family must have been evacuated since Aimé suddenly shoved me aside and fired a shot, hitting her in the chest away from her heart to keep her alive. I stumbled over to Derek, gently placing my fingers on his wounded neck. His pulse was so faint, but he was definitely alive. He weakly released a plaintive whine when I stroked my fingers through his patchy hair, avoiding the places that had chunks ripped out.

"Why do you hate me so much?" I asked quietly, turning my head to look at her suffering form.

Her jaw ticked. "Y-you," she started, heaving a shaky, ragged breath, "should not have been born. No matter what did or did not happen in that house, you should not have left it alive."

"But why?" I pressed, carefully moving back towards Aimé with Derek in tow.

I had his waist trapped against my side as I carefully moved him. I could see Silvia's muscles twitching in anxiousness. She was about to do something.

"I hate that you made my daughter's life miserable! You made mine even more miserable when your shitty freak-ass was dropped off at my fucking home! I couldn't kill you because my idiotic husband adored you. So I plotted and planned all this shit to make sure you would become as unhappy as me, but that fell apart. You're too much of a monster. And to deal with a monster, it's better to use explosives."

I lifted Derek a bit higher as she pulled the pin on a grenade and removed the safety lever. I ran and leaped at Aimé to force us out of the room. We had just tumbled into a nearby cell when the grenade exploded a second later. I grunted when something punctured my shoulder a millisecond after the deafening sound. Fire burned my back as I kept Aimé covered with Derek underneath me as well. My man stared wide-eyed at me as I laid over him.