-76-

"Why did you put them together?"

Aimé looked up from his book to see his mother's confused expression. "Are you talking about the Black Widower and his mole?"

Anta nodded. "Shouldn't we keep them apart?"

"My rayiys suggested it."

Anta looked at me. "Is this because of your current mental state?"

I chuckled. "Partially, but I figured the brothers needed some time together."

Her jaw dropped. "Brothers!"

"Apparently, Ben Romano is well-acquainted with the mole, so this guy has some decent connections if he can control some of the guards' movements. Of course, Ben isn't in charge of the guards who work around the Black Widower, but it seems like the brother has been a mole longer than we thought. With that in mind, I believe there's less of a threat with them together versus apart and having favors called in." I explained firmly, having met Anta's gaze beforehand.

"Interesting," she murmured. "Thanks for explaining. I'll let you two relax."

I saluted her with two fingers and Aimé mouthed a thank you as she left the room. I rubbed my right cheek on his chest, then put my left earbud back in. I continued playing my game while Aimé went back to his book.

Aimé kissed my head and hugged me tightly every once in awhile, so I think it had something to do with the book he was reading. I would kiss his collarbones and chest, then rub my cheek on him every once in awhile to comfort each other if I got tense during a level. Aimé and I were very attuned to each other, so it was good to let him know that I wasn't in trouble or scared of anything nearby.

I had to do that even more whenever I switched to watching Let's Plays of horror games because I would make little noises, jump, and tense up a lot. And even if I wanted to move to let him focus on his book, Aimé was insistent on keeping me safe in his arms. He said he'd worry more if I wasn't there. Of course I laughed and smothered him with kisses, which made my man very happy.

When I was bored with the game, I shut it down and took out my earbud. Aimé kissed my head and squeezed me again, so I was very happy as I snuggled in again. My man's chest vibrated with a pleased purr, then his attention returned to his book once more.

I'm not certain, but I think the genre is historical fiction. I remember my fiancé telling me that he likes reading history, so I guess this is just a fun break for him.

I wondered what was going to happen next in the stages of revenge—or vengeance, I guess—to do with the Black Widower. He really deserves to die for all the stuff he's done, but on the flip side are we not the same? I haven't tortured anyone before killing them, but I am a murderer even if it was just for self-defense.

In the underground society, the Golden Cobras are famous for their torture tactics and assassinations of influential people—bad and good ones. Well, they're only good people to some groups. The Black Vipers are kind of like "thugs for hire" for the most part with loan sharks, control of gun distribution, and cleaning drugged-up areas. Our group has killed people before and tortured them, just like the Golden Cobras.

I guess the only difference is that we don't really take pleasure in killing and torturing, and we do it for money. Éloy did it for pleasure and just because he found it fun and exciting. He's psychotic, for sure, but maybe we could give him another chance at life? I guess I feel worse knowing thst he has a family member. If I'd never known that, I would have been fine killing him off.

I'm now weak to families because I have one that loves me, even though my biological mother, her husband, and her mother hated me. My maternal grandfather loved me and my paternal grandparents like me so far. I have yet to introduce them to Aimé, though.