Chapter 1 Tears

I'm not going to cry John Richards thought as he fought against the wave of emotions slamming into him. At least not in front of my father. I'll cry like a little baby later but not right now. 

"Hey buddy." Jason said awkwardly as he studied the boy's face.  This isn't a joke is it, this is really my son.

"I'm so happy to finally meet you." The fifteen year old gush. "I've wanted this for so long." 

"I'm glad to meet you too." Jason said. He looked at Zach who was sitting on the couch. He could see the boy was moved by their reunion as they were.

"When I can see you?" John asked. "For real I mean not on a phone screen."

Jason wanted to say tonight. He wanted to get Jack, jump in the car and race out to Arlington. It was only a ninety minute drive he thought. Maybe two hours depending on how heavy rush hour was. But I could be there by eight and properly meet my son.

But he did not say it. It was more complicated than that.

"Soon." He said much to the boy's disappointment. "I need to talk to your mother first."

And we have so much to talk about.

"She's right here." John said jumping up from his seat. He walked over to his mother whose had become red and puffy. "Dad wants to talk to you."

I never thought I would be able to say that phrase John thought. It felt good to say it.

"I can't do this right now."  Lauren Richards threw her hands up and then rushed out of the kitchen.

"Mom!" He called after her. "Mom." He then looked at the phone. "She left."

"Its okay." Jason said in a calm voice. "Give her a few moments

"She is upset with me." John said as looked at the kitchen entrance. The excitement he was feeling over finally getting to talk to his father was slowly giving away to guilt over hurting his mother. He looked at Jason. "She did not want me to contact you."

"I know." Jason said as he felt a flash of anger. How could she do this to me he thought. How could she let me go fifteen years not knowing I had a son.

"But I had to call you." John said. "I could not wait any longer especially after Zach told me what happened with Jack's uncle."

"Zach told you about that."

"Yeah." John said."He felt you guys needed something good to happen for once."

"Did he now."

"It was okay that he had me call you right."

"Of course it was okay buddy." He then patted Zach on the back.

John then smiled and then asked "Is Jack there?"

"Jack is not here right now." Jason said. "He is with his grand...." Jason corrected himself. "Your grandparents right now."

"Can I talk to him." John said as he began to tear up. "And to my grandparents."

"Of course buddy." Jason said.

"My mom's parents died three years ago."  John said as water began to leak from his eyes.

"I'm sorry to hear that." Jason said.

"Thank you." John wiped his eyes and look of embarrassment crossed his face. He quickly sat the phone down as he tried to compose himself.

"John." Jason said as he looked at the now blackened screen. "John."

"Just a minute." He wiped his eyes cursing himself for not being able to hold back the tears.