Chapter 55 The Gift

Jack and John had returned to the apartment an hour later.  The two said goodbye to their Uncle Jimmy, Aunt Theresa, and cousins.  They sent their dad a text letting them know that they were back and getting smoothies.

Jason replied okay but not to be too long.

Jack texted back we won't.

They walked into the aboretum where they saw a group of young adults in the midst of  card game. Dylan's older brother was among them who gave the two a slight not.

Jack was glad that Dylan's brother was finally warming up to them. Though he did not expect that they would be best friends anytime soon.

They soon got in line which was about five people deep.  John could not get over how popular the smoothie cafe was. And not just the cafe but the aboretum as well.

They soon got their drinks and John texted that they were on their way up.  As the past the second floor John looked at his brother and said "Jack."

"Yeah." Jack said looking up from his cell phone.

"I wanted to thank you."

Jack gave the other boy a confused look. "For what?"

"For what?" He said in disbelief. "For introducing me to your friends, for throwing this party so I could meet all of my cousins."

"Actually you haven't met them all yet." Jack said.

"I know." John replied. "But I met a lot of them thanks to you." He started to become misty eyed. "And not just our mutual cousins but your cousins on your mom's side as well."  John mused how he really liked getting to know Pete, Iris, and Eddie.

A look of pure gratitude filled his face as he said "Thank you for allowing me into your life."

"You're welcome."

"I mean you could have been a real jerk to me." John said. "You could have treated me like crap but you didn't."  The elevator stopped at their floor and the doors opened. "But you didn't." He said as they stepped out. "I'm happy." John said. "I've gotten everything that I ever prayed for and I am happy."

"Same here." Jack said as the doora closed behind them. I'm safe and O have a sibling I can actually consider a friend.

They walked into the apartment and Jason who was sitting at the dining table smiled.  "How was your evening?"  He asked as he stood. His laptop, a glass of brandy, and a plate of the expensive cheese that the Harrison had bought for him sat on the table.

"It was great."  John quickly said.  "I really liked getting to know the rest of Uncle Jimmy's famiy."

Jack nodded in agreement.

"I'm glad you both had fun."  Jason said.  "I have a present for both of you in the laundry room."

"The laundry room?" Jack questioned giving his father an odd look.

"Did you buy us that dryer we always wanted." John chuckled.

"No wise guy." Jason said.   He then mussed up the boy's hair.  "Go get your present and bring it out to me."

"What is it?" Jack asked.

"I'm not going to tell you buddy." He said. "You have to go see for yourself."

"Okay." John said intrigued.

The two walked to the laundry with a sense of excitement going through them. "What's going on?" John asked as his mind raced trying to figure out what the gift could be.

"I'm not sure."

Then they heard it, a small cry that caused the two to freeze in place. "A puppy." They said in unison. They rushed to the door and quickly opened and to their shock discovered two puppies jumping up and down in a pen.

"He got me a beagle." Jack said as he lifted the puppy up. "Awesome." He held the puppy close to him and it began to lick his face.

John could not control the rush of the emotion that went through him. He was already in tears as he picked up the corgi puppy. Memories of his grandparent's dog began to flood his mind as he held the dog close to him.

"You okay bro?"

"I was wrong earlier." John said. The dog began to lick him as he said "Now I have everything that I ever wanted."

Jack could not help but smile.  The dog began to squirm in his arms as he looked at John. "Mine wants to say hi to you."

John walked over and pet the beagle as Jack scratched the head of the corgi.  The corgi began to lick his hand in return.  

"So I guess you guys like your gifts?" Jason said as he stood at the door.

"I love him." John then looked underneath the dog. "Oh her." He then corrected himself. "I love her." John wiped his eyes again. "Thanks dad." He then walked over to his dad and gave him a hug.

"You're welcome John."

"Thank you so much." Jack said with excitement as he too hugged his dad.

Jason then said "Thank Eddie for helping me go pick them up too." The two nodded their heads.

Jack then looked at his puppy and saw that it was a boy dog. Well I guess I know what is happening to you in a couple of months. He began to wonder what a Corgi and Beagle mix would look like. He imagined the head of a beagle on the body of a Corgi.

"Now I expect the two of you to take care of them." He said. "Walk them, bathe them, feed them, and pick up any presents that they might leave behind." He then rubbed the corgi on the top of the head.

"Yes sir." They both said.

Jack then asked "Can they sleep with us."

Jason let out a sigh he wanted to say no but felt that would be a battle he was not going to win. He imagined the two sneaking them into the rooms after he went to sleep, or the puppies keeping them up because they did not want to stay in the laundry room all night. "Let's wait until we are sure they are housetrained. I don't want your room smelling like pee."

Or the rest of the house he thought.

"Yes sir." They said with a bit of disappointment in their voices.

"I think the two of them could go for a walk." Jason said. "Remember to take something to pick up after them."

Jason smiled as he watched the boys put leashes on the dogs and then walk out of the apartment. The two puppies jumped on the boys' legs as they walked left. He then sent a text to Jimmy and Theresa letting them know that the dogs were a hit.