Chapter 31

The three said their goodbyes and then headed to the car. Jason felt a twinge of guilt for cutting the evening short. He would have like to give John more time with his grandparents and Zach but he did not want them to overstay their welcome. Plus he was sure that Lauren was at home waiting on pins and needles for John's call and if he did not call soon she probably would rush out to Maryland to see him.

He had been tempted to have John call from his parents house but decided that it would be better to wait until they got home. He had a feeling that John would not be too willing to call his mom and he might have to take some measures that would his mother would find controversial to convince him.

I hope it does not come to that he thought.

"Dad." Jack said pulling him from his musings.

"Yes, buddy." He said as they walked up to the car.

"Can we stop for a hot pretzel?"

"Hot pretzel?"

"Yeah." He said as a look of desperation filled his eyes. "Can we dad?"

"You're still hungry?" Jason said surprised. He was shocked that he could fit anymore after gourging himself on the feast that his mother had prepared.

"Yes." John said.

He then looked at John. "You too."

"Yes." John shook his head his eyes pleading with him.

"Please dad." Jack said.

"Sure why not."

"Can we got to Anderson's pretzels?"

"Sure, sure." Jason thought how that was on the way home and would not add too much time to their trip. He just hoped that Lauren could wait until they got home.

They soon arrived at Anderson's hot pretzel stand. Jack was taking his first bite into a hot, soft treat when he saw Lucas and Heather at one of the picnic tables. He watched as they kissed.

Does Elizabeth know about this? The two then pulled apart and stared lovingly into each other's eyes. For their sakes I hope not.

Ashley then looked his way and he quickly averted his gaze. He then became focused on a car in the parking lot as he took a sip of his soda.

"Hey Jack." Lucas Ivy said as he walked up to him.

"Hey Lucas." Jack said with an uncomfortable look. "How have you been."

"Fine, fine " Lucas said. "Yourself."

"I've been good." He said. "Just here with my dad and my...." Jack's words trailed off and he debated if he should finish the sentence or not.

"And?" Lucas asked.

He then sighed as inwardly as he thought might as well tell him. No sense teying to keep it a secret now since half the family knows. Plus I had no problem telling Heather and Thea earlier.

"And my brother." He looked at Jason and John who sat at a table eating.

"You have a brother?" Lucas blinked in surprise and the reason he came over quickly escaped from his mind.

"Yeah." He then told him about John.

"Wow." Lucas said floored. "How did Elizabeth take the news."

"As far as I know she does not know yet."

"How do you think she will react."

"About as well as she when finds out about you and Ashley." Jack looked at Ashley who was watching them.