Chapter 54 Anthony

The last time that Anthony had to help Jeremiah to bed he was twenty seven when went out with his friends two nights before his wedding to Theresa and had gotten completely smashed with him.  He remembered Jeremiah questioning why he was getting married, telling him that he really did not love Theresa, that he was just marrying her because she was pregnant and that he felt trapped.  He told him that he it was just cold feet talking, pre wedding jitters.  That he really did love her and that she was the best thing that happened to him.

Now looking back he wish that he had handled that differently.  If he could do it over again he would have told him to call off the wedding.  Yes it would have hurt Theresa but it would have been better then her enduring a loveless, humiliating marriage for fourteen years. 

 I would spare her all the pain that my son had caused her Anthony as guilt tore at him.  And if I could do the same for Jason I would.

Anthony then turned off the light and walked down stairs.  When he reached the first floor he heard the front door open.  He was soon met in the hallway but Elizabeth who did look too excited to see him.

"Good evening Elizabeth." Anthony said.

"Hi grandad." Elizabeth said. "Is mom home?'

"No." Anthony said. "You're mom is in jail."

"In jail?" Elizabeth said with an amused look across her face. "That'a hilarious."

He gave her a look of disapproval as he said "Its not hilarious."

"Yes it is." A large smile was across her face.  "What did she get arrested for? I bet it was drunk driving wasn't it."

"It wasn't drunk driving." Anthony answered. "Child endangerment."

Elizabeth looked at him confused as she said "Child endangerment?"

"Yes." Anthony said.  A furious look appeared in his eyes. "She manipulated your Uncle Spencer intl going after Jack." He then gave her a questioning look. "You know about that right?"

"Yes Nicole told me." Elizabeth said.

"He is in jail too."

"Good." She then shuddered. "He always gave me the creeps."

I'm sure he did Anthony thought.

"Is that why you are here?" Elizabeth asked. "My mom is in jail so you are here to make me come live with you and grandma." She steeled herself as she said "Because I won't." A firmness was in her voice as she spoke. "I'm not living with you nor I am living with mom's parents."

"And there is no way I'm living with Jason." Elizabeth said. I would rather live on the streets than live with my father and loser brother.

"Don't call your father by his first name." Anthony shot her a dirty look.

Unintimidated by her grandfather's patented death glare which would have sent Jack and even Jesse fleeing to the darkest corner for cover she said "I'll call him whatever I want." She then added. "Anthony."

Anthony took a step forward as he placed his hand on his belt. He was about to give the spoiled brat a much needed lesson in respect when he stopped. He removed his hand from realizing that it would not do any good. The only thing he would accomplish is taking his own frustrations out on her.

And that would not be good.

Anthony took a step back and Elizabeth let out a smirk.

"No that is not why I am here." Anthony said. "I'm here to see your Uncle Jeremiah.'

"He's still here."  She rolled her eyes in annoyance. "Why hasn't he gone home yet?"

"Because they don't want anything to do with him." Anthony said. Which wasn't exactly true. Or at least Theresa did not want anything to do with him.  His kids still loved him and missed him.  Even the ones who understood how much he hurt their mother. But Theresa was done with him.