Chapter 28 The Wringer

After dinner Jason helped his mother take dirty dishes into the kitchen while Anthony and the boys went to the music room John could look at his guitars. "I have to say John is a very sweet boy." She said as she sat the plates near the sink. "Despite everything Lauren seems to have done a very good job with him." She opened a drawer revealing a trashcan.

"That she did." Jason said with a small smile. "He seems like a great kid." Jason sat the dishes on the counter and leaned it against while his mom started scrapping food into the trash. "I just wished Lauren told me about him." He said as he rinsed a plate off. "I just get so mad when I think of all the time I've missed with him." Jason placed his plate in the dishwasher. "His first words, his first steps, first day of school." Sorrow rose inside of him as he spoke. "Another man teaching my son how to shave."

"Well don't think about that." She said as she started to rinse off a dish. "Don't focus on the years you missed, focus on the ones you will have with him." She then handed him the dish.

He smiled as he said "Good advice as always mom." He then opened the dishwasher and pulled out the lower rack. A somber look crossed his face. "He doesn't want to go home to his mom."

"I know." She said as she continued to scrap off the dishes and then wash them off. "He mentioned that while you were taking to Jack."

"He told the Harrisons that too." Jason said. "He's scared if he goes back to Virginia that she will never allow him to see us again."

"I know."

"Sam and Wendy feel that I should fight for full custody of him." Jason then looked at his mom.

"I think you should." Cathy said. "I mean if the boy wants to be with you so badly, that the thought of him returning home reduces him to tears then there is something very wrong about their relationship."

"I agree."

"Then I guess you know what you need to do." Jason gave her an uncomfortable look. "What?"

"I promised Lauren I would not take him from her."

"So." She said as she placed the final dish in the dishes washer.

"I would be breaking my word." Jason said.

Cathy hit the power button and the dishwasher came to life. "Yes you would be." She then walked to the sink and washed her hands. "You just have to ask yourself what is more important to you." She turned off the faucet and then grabbed a paper towel to dry her hands. "Keeping your word or protecting your son from an emotionally abusive person."

Jason was about to say something when Jack walked in. "Hey dad."

"Yeah buddy."

"John's mom wants to talk to you." He then held out his phone.

A surprised look crossed his face. "How did she get your phone number?" Better yet what is she doing calling you in the first place?

"She didn't." Jack said., "She called me through Facebook messenger."

"She called you through Facebook." Jason said stunned. "You can do that?"

"Yeah." He then tried to hand him the phone. "Do you want to talk to her?"

"Tell her I will call her back." Jason said with ire in his voice.

Jack unmuted the call and then said "He said he will call you back." Lauren then said something that the two adults could not make it out. "I'll tell him." Jack said. "Bye." He disconnected and looked at his father. "She wants you to call her right now."

"Does she now."

Jack could feel the annoyance emanating from his father. "She sounded really upset."